Riesling Yeast Suggestion

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete1325

Reaction score
Morning, I have a bucket of Riesling juice coming in at the end of the week.....any suggestion on yeast?

Thanks, any thought on fermentation temp? I read ferment at lower temps......40-45 degree? Not sure I can accommodate those conditions. Thoughts?

Most of the yeasts mentioned work best above 50 degrees with the exception of 71B which needs to be above 60.

My basement temps around 65F......any idea on how to lower the temp, maybe an ice chest with chiller water and some ice?

one way to cool is to place a carboy in a water bath. used iced water bottles change periodically, drape sheet over carboy wet with cool water, direct a fan onto the sheet the evaporation will cool the entire carboy. wait until fermentation starts before cooling the juice.
Cotes De Blanc is good yeast retains aromatics on the wine

Other than that my usual goto is 71b for whites and rc212 for reds.

I was actually looking at the 71b.

Lately, I've been reading about flatulence levels and how it effects clarification. Does this strain seem to clarify "normally" or does it have a low level where you have to have it settle a bit longer?

I think the proper term is floculation. it is the condition of floating particles in a liquid and the propensity of the particle in settling.
I am assuming that the thought is that some yeasts are difficult to clear because of the suspended particles. I have never come across this theory but I would think that the yeast particles cling to other particles such as protein or other matter in the wine that cause the high density of particles. any good fining agent or patience will allow the wine to clear.

I think the proper term is floculation. it is the condition of floating particles in a liquid and the propensity of the particle in settling.
I am assuming that the thought is that some yeasts are difficult to clear because of the suspended particles. I have never come across this theory but I would think that the yeast particles cling to other particles such as protein or other matter in the wine that cause the high density of particles. any good fining agent or patience will allow the wine to clear.

I meant floculation.... I had just woken up, hahhahahaha.

Not a phrase you read every day... :?

I am curious about what you mean by this. What differs between strains with respect to gas production?

Hahahaha, I had just woken up and couldn't think. I meant flocculation. :D

I too never heard of this until I started reading specs on different yeast strains.
Some (primarily with mead making) would mention that lower flocculation would result in a longer time for the sediment to drop, but I don't see how that would effect anything.

I'd think that once fermentation is complete, you could just rack as normal and you'd be good to go.

Latest posts

Back