WineXpert Rich Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunDevilWine

Junior
Reaction score
I know that it is not the best idea to give a kit Chardonnay malolactic fermentation. Does anyone have any ideas to give a kit Chardonnay that full, creamy, buttery feel and taste? I dont enjoy crisp, chardonnays and am not sure how to get this taste of of a kit. Is it possible to add potassium bicarbonate to reduce acidity and add lactic acid afterwards to balance acidity?

Hhmmm......I wouldn't want to ruin a kit to experimentation. I think I would just follow the directions and bottle age properly and see how it turns out. I think what you are looking for might not be in a kit, but if it is, it would be in one with alot of pure juice.

First, DO NOT try ML with a kit. It will ruin it and void the manufacturers warranty.

The kit chardonnay are not quite as crisp as the commercial varieties. Because of this, I always add extra oak and bulk age. The oak sharpens the taste, while the aging smooths out the flavor. I would suggest bulk aging for 6 months and tasting it. If it is still too crisp, let it age a little longer.

Of course, you could always try one of my Chardonnays to see if you like the kit taste. Let me know when you are coming by the store and I will have a bottle to taste. I am always looking for an excuse to open a bottle at the store!

FYI......here is the response I got from Tim at Winexpert regarding how to make rich Chardonnays........
Our kits tend to have a softer, more complex flavour profile than you might expect. We achieve this partly by carefully choosing our oak styles and the protocols for using them. By including the oak in with the fermentation (instead of after) we get a much softer profile, which includes some butter and vanilla notes, as opposed to woody or smokey characters.

Now you can’t do malolactic on the kits. It will end in tears if you try. However, there is a technique called ‘battonage’ that will help fatten up the finish of the wine, and give it a rich, creamy mouthfeel. Here’s the deal:
<UL =disc>
<LI =Msonormal>Make you kit up as normal, and rack to the secondary carboy on day 5-7 as directed.
<LI =Msonormal>After ten days, ignore the instructions about fining and stabilising. Instead, add one-quarter teaspoon of metabisulphite powder to the wine, and gently stir it up with a sanitised spoon.
<LI =Msonormal>Get all of the yeast sediment in to suspension, make sure it’s nice and cloudy, but don’t splash or agitate.
<LI =Msonormal>Top up with some decent Chardonnay wine (this is better than using water for this technique). At three or four day intervals, go back and stir the yeast up again.
<LI =Msonormal>Repeat every three or four days for a month.
<LI =Msonormal>Let the wine settle for two weeks, rack it into a clean, sanitised carboy, and follow all the remaining instructions on schedule, omitting no detail however slight. </LI>[/list]

By stirring the yeast into suspension repeatedly you get the benefits of the amino acids they carry, along with a host of compounds—principally mannoproteins, which give they creamy aroma and mouthfeel.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your kit.

Cheers,

Tim Vandergrift
Technical Services Manager
image001.jpgSecurity=2

[email protected]

George did Tim mean to say that every 3-4 days for a month you add the 1/4 Teaspoon of metabisulphite and stir or only add it the first time.?

I had a batch of Chardonnay at the right point so I am going give this a whirl. I will add the first quarter teaspoon on the 9th so I have a few days.

Richard

Country is right, do not add any sulfite after the first time.

Latest posts

Back