Rice Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valdelocc

love my wine&cigars
Reaction score
3 days ago started a 6g batch of rice wine, I used 2.5lb/g rice,1lb/g raisins,1 cup of honey,Red Star Champagne yeast,yeast food,tanning, amylase and pectic enzymes, pot meta and 20tsp of acid blend (it took that much to get the PH down to 3.5). I sort of combined two recipes and the mayor deviation was no steaming of cooking the brown rice, The must is fermenting very happily but the flavor and smell are very similar to Sake, I wasnt shooting for Sake. I was wondering if anyone here have tried rice wine using raw rice and what would be the differences VS using steamed rice?is the outcome supposed to taste like Sake? thanks

Let me preface this with saying I have never made rice wine or Sake:

I'm guessing your are just smelling the difference between two beverages that have the same primary ingredient, rice. The same way horchata smells kinda like Sake. The primary difference between rice wine and Sake is that Sake has koji in it. If you haven't added Koji you will have rice wine.

You say you were not aiming for Sake, what were you expecting from/for your rice wine?

thanks for the link. I just checked the wine and its dry and ready for the secondary, surprising how fast it dried out typically in my cold basement takes around 2 weeks for most fruit wines. some of the strong Sake smell faded away and it definitely overshoot my goal of 13% alcohol, I guess besides the raw sugar the rice starch was also turned into alcohol by the amylase enzymes, the color is caramel like not pretty, reminds me of muddy water, lets see how it turns with time. I still don't know if steaming the rice would had change the flavor or color somehow next time I'll do it that way.

Latest posts

Back