Rhubarb wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyd

Reaction score
Squeezed out 6 1/4 gallons of rhubarb juice today. Freezing it again in gallon milk bottles and am going to cut off the tops to get rid of the bad acid before fermenting.:h

Doesn't seem to want to load pictures from my phone. ::

I just froze 20# of rhubarb myself - and bottled up 3 gal last week. This time I picked the reddest stalks I could & cut the first couple inches off below the leaf. I've heard that helps get rid of the "bad acid". Don't need any bad acid, man.

Rhubarb has two major types of acids with malic being dominate. The other,
Oxalic Acid is stronger and not good for the kidneys. Didn't seem to bother my grand mother though, she lived into her 80's and she ate lots of rhubarb.

Cutting off two inches of the stock probably will not help with the bad acid (Oxalic Acid).

I cut the stacks about 1/2 inch below the leaves. Leaves themselves are poisonous.

I plan to do a malolactic fermentation and add tartaric acid if needed.

A couple of the recipes I've seen call for the addition of calcium carbonate pre-ferment. Supposedly, that helps with the oxalic acid.
I've never tried doing a malolactic fermentation - I've seen it mentioned on this forum a few times. I'll have to research that.

The oxalic acid is in the leaves. So if you follow the standard harvesting and prep instructions any remaining oxalic acid should be minimal to non-existent.

Latest posts

Back