Rhubarb wine possible fail

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iridium

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it looks like my first foray into rhubarb is not going well. I think due to operator error. So here is where I am at:

started with 17 pounds of chopped frozen rhubarb that I let thaw. Once thawed I added some k-meta and let sit. Tested pH with strips because meter is broken. First reports were around 2 for pH. Added calcium carbonate to raise pH (2 tablespoons). That seemed to raise pH to 3-4. Again using strips so not super accurate added five cups of sugar to get of if 1.095. Pitched 71b yeast and wait. Temperatures never get below 64 and after two days add a heating Matt to get temps to 72. Fermentation happens for about the first three days and then nothing. Got down to about 1.070 and then stopped. Added more 71b but didn’t change. What is weird is last pH readings have indicated pH is up to closer to 4.

I do t think I waited enough between adding ingredients and pitching yeast. Will press off rhubarb and then see what I got and go from there.

any suggestions would be great.

Go with it and don't fret. You may come up with a great wine 2 or 3 years down the road. I made some lovely dry rhubarb without testing at all several years ago and just a couple years back a fantastic strawberry rhubarb with no testing, just time.

The rapid jump in temperature may have stunned the yeast. Make an overnight starter -- in a wine bottle, put 1 cup room temperature water, 1 tsp sugar, and 1/2 tsp nutrient, and the yeast. Cover the top loosely and let set overnight. In the morning, swirl the bottle to mix the contents, then carefully pour down the side of the fermenter so that it doesn't spread much in the wine.

After that, give it 48 hours then check the SG. If the wine is fermenting, let it do its thing. If it's not fermenting, I agree with @VinesnBines, press the wine. Put it under airlock and ignore it for a month. It may ferment out. If nothing happens after 3 months, evaluate if the wine as salvageable or not.

How many days has it been since you started? If its only been several days I would keep it in primary for a little longer/in an open container and give it a stir a few times a day, I would expect it to start back up, like mentioned b4 make a yeast starter , I would maybe use EC1118 to get this to the finish line. Keep a nose on the must to be sure the yeast isnt stressed out creating funky aromas.

I have a batch of rhubarb going as well - just racked into a carboy to let it settle out a bit. SG was 1.000, but it seemed to be done. My basement is quite cool this time of year (61-63F), and the ferment did take longer than usual because of it.

I'll check it again when I rerack for bulk aging. If it hits 0.998 I'm going to call it good, it'll get sorbate when I backsweeten anyway.

One thing you might want to try is a different yeast. I've been using EC1118 and it works well.

I'll check it again when I rerack for bulk aging. If it hits 0.998 I'm going to call it good, it'll get sorbate when I backsweeten anyway.
It may be done now. While we generally consider 0.998 to be the milestone, it's not a firm one. I've had a few wines quit just above 1.000 and refuse to budge.

But it doesn't matter -- after a few months of bulk aging, if the SG doesn't move, it makes no difference since you will backsweeten. I'd rack it, put it under airlock, and ignore it for 3 months.

But it doesn't matter -- after a few months of bulk aging, if the SG doesn't move, it makes no difference since you will backsweeten. I'd rack it, put it under airlock, and ignore it for 3 months.
That's the plan. ;) Winemaking is actually the perfect procrastinator hobby.

@iridium pH paper is not very accurate. I have to step back and say how does it taste?

OK looking at 100% juice/ no water several years of pH are; 3.31, 3.32, 3.14, 3.27, 3.67, 3.13. This pH translates into it tasted pretty good with the sugar and acidic when fermented, plus the ferment stops at about 1.000 except one year at 1.015. This year I used 71B and it worked again. What you posted should have worked, if it isn’t I would reinoculate, I like 1118 for problems.
Next you added two table spoons of calcium carbonate. This is slow reacting. My bottle says half a teaspoon removes .01% TA in a gallon therefore you might drop the TA by 0.06% in a gallon which isn’t a lot. Several years of TA; 1.62%, 1.38%, 1.41%, 1.61%, again with pH paper it isn’t the best accuracy and 100% rhubarb can soak up carbonates so you could be good and the pH paper giving poor readings. (17 pounds as a gallon must?/ how much/ if any water?)

Yeast will ferment down to pH 2.8 with CO2 . You should’ve been able to get close to dry.

Fermenting from 1.095 to 1.070 isn’t a lot of alcohol. To be stable we want at least to get to the beer range of 5% alcohol. There are a number of families that live at pH 4, again this says try 1118.
pH 4 gives you some time, if it gets to the point where an aerobic film forming bacteria or mold grows there may be flavor problems.

Last edited:
When I do rhubarb wine I add a 96 ounce bottle of white grape juice. I put the frozen rhubarb in a bag and allow it to thaw. Add the juice and enough water to get to 6.5 gallons. Sugar to get the SG to around a 10% ABV. Then check and adjust Ph.
Add pectin, Camden tablets and let it sit a day. Add the yeast and nutrient and let it ferment. Pull the bag towards the end of fermentation. It usually finishes with a SG between.990 and.995.

Update: I started another packet of yeast 71b again in the jar with a little water and some must. It seemed to get started. While it wasn’t vigorous it was fermenting. I have attached a picture of what it looked like after about 20 hours. I went ahead and pitched that and now it is a wait and see. I also added some more nutrients. So I am going to wait and see. If that doesn’t work I will try again with 1118.

Will post update.

Attachments

• 3BA9379F-2E27-4E67-ACFA-981480768E1A.jpeg
    3BA9379F-2E27-4E67-ACFA-981480768E1A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 269D4AAC-E4FB-4F58-85AB-AFE3F0637506.jpeg
    269D4AAC-E4FB-4F58-85AB-AFE3F0637506.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
It seemed to get started. While it wasn’t vigorous it was fermenting.
The starter won't normally have a lot of activity. It's purpose is to rehydrate the yeast and give it the opportunity to reproduce in a good environment. When added to the must, the yeast colony is larger and is actively growing.

Check the SG of the must in 48 hours. You can check after 24 hours, but there may not be much activity -- although ANY activity is a positive sign.

Update: I started another packet of yeast 71b again in the jar with a little water and some must. It seemed to get started. While it wasn’t vigorous it was fermenting. I have attached a picture of what it looked like after about 20 hours. I went ahead and pitched that and now it is a wait and see. I also added some more nutrients. So I am going to wait and see. If that doesn’t work I will try again with 1118.

Will post update.

When using a starter to restart I do 1 additional step. Once the starter is going, instead of adding directly to must I add a half - 1 cup of must to the starter and get that going. Then repeat 4-6 x. This gives the yeast a chance to acclimate to the must environment. Once I have a liter or 2 of must/yeast going then I add it to the fermenter. Just another option to try if you need to go to restart again.

Back