Rhubarb wine - newest batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oppyland

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd just post a pic and a couple of thoughts on my most recent batch of rhubarb wine, bottled last week. This was made with rhubarb I harvested last summer and froze. This particular batch was made from the stuff I had leftover after making raspberry rhubarb which turned out quite nice. This made only a 3 gallon batch, yield a bit over 15 bottles. I did backsweeten a bit more than last year - added 350ml of simple syrup and stirred before bottling. Still has that nice rhubarb tang but maybe a little less rough around the edges. We'll see in a few weeks! Yes, the label is kind of boring - just haven't had a lot of spare time lately.

PXL_20220522_200522423.PORTRAIT.jpg

Thought I'd just post a pic and a couple of thoughts on my most recent batch of rhubarb wine, bottled last week. This was made with rhubarb I harvested last summer and froze. This particular batch was made from the stuff I had leftover after making raspberry rhubarb which turned out quite nice. This made only a 3 gallon batch, yield a bit over 15 bottles. I did backsweeten a bit more than last year - added 350ml of simple syrup and stirred before bottling. Still has that nice rhubarb tang but maybe a little less rough around the edges. We'll see in a few weeks! Yes, the label is kind of boring - just haven't had a lot of spare time lately.

View attachment 88800
Beauty!

I will be making this for sure. We have a plant and hardly even dent it. Mind sharing your recipe?

I’ve thought about this too. I have a friend who is loaded with rhubarb so maybe this year. I’d be interested in a good recipe.
joe

It is easy to make thin rhubarb where you wonder what it is.
View attachment 88810
This was for a 100% juice rhubarb with just enough black raspberry to make a blush color, fermented dry and then back sweetened to 1.016, good rhubarb one smells & says wow
Recipe please? I have loads of black and red raspberries.

Recipe (like most of you this is subject to change on a whim):

I follow @GreginND process as far as extracting the juice -

1. Cut stalks into 1" pieces and freeze
2. Thaw and add K-meta
3. After a day or two, press
3. Measure the juice, add the same volume of water back into the pressed stalks and press again

For this batch I used about 25 lbs of rhubarb, which is maybe a little light for about 4 gallons of must, but it was all I had left.

Fermentation is pretty standard -

Sugar to about 1.090+, 1118 yeast started in Go-Ferm, added pectic enzyme (which is probably completely unnecessary), added Fermax mid-ferment. No need for tannins or oak IMO.

Later on, for some unknown reason, Mrs. oppyland decided to mess with the gallon jug I had filled when I racked out of primary, so we lost that part of the batch. :confused:

After primary I racked and added Super-Kleer. My last batch of rhubarb was tough to clear, but this one was better. I added 40ml of glycerin during bulk aging, and 350ml of simple syrup at bottling.

Some people add calcium carbonate to control the acidity, but the pH of this batch was 3.5, so I did not.

@Rice_Guy did you back sweeten with straight sugar or simple syrup? How long to age it before drinking? My juice only version has been in the carboy for 2 months so far. Still need to adjust the acid a bit (it's at 3.3 now and you had suggested trying to get it to 3.5).

It is easy to make thin rhubarb where you wonder what it is.
View attachment 88810
This was for a 100% juice rhubarb with just enough black raspberry to make a blush color, fermented dry and then back sweetened to 1.016, good rhubarb one smells & says wow

Latest posts

Back