Rhubarb shredder

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norske

Forum Member
Reaction score
We are in the need to find a machine that will chop or shred rhubarb. I have googled it to death and found an apple shredder that I think may work.

Hear is a pic of what it looks like. They are either Italian or German made.

set-72157625903096771

Would this work for rhubarb?
Would love to hear from anyone who has a method or machine to process rhubarb.

What are you trying to achieve with the shredding? I mean, do you want; chunks, slices, or pulp when you are done? What is your price range?

RR

Thanks grapeman. I don't know why my pic link didn't work but glad you posted it.

We continually do more rhubarb each year. This year will probably do 2000 pounds. In the past we would chop the rhubarb in pieces 1/2" or so. They go directly in a food grade bucket and then are frozen.

Since it is frozen right after the chopping process, I don't think that the size will matter much. When we are ready to begin a batch, we ferment on the pulp. I watched a couple of youtube videos of this type of machine in action. It was doing apples and it shredded them down pretty good.

As some of you know, rhubarb has a tough stalk that has a tendency to not want to cut cleanly and you get build up of long strands that can gum up some equipment in no time. That is my number 1 concern is the strands off of the stalk. I am pretty sure it will pulverize the rhubarb ok, just don't want to have to spend more time unclogging it.

The unit in the pic ranges from 1500-2500 depending on where you buy it. For this price range, I am willing to give it a go unless I hear from someone who has tried this on rhubarb and found it lacking.

If that is you budget I would look into the Continuous-Feed Food Processors. Robot Coupe Vegetable Preparation Machines. They start in the $1000 range and go up. With these you have more options to multi task.
Here are a few vids

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79OUwAR0kP4[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBWfZ3mP-wY[/ame]

Hobart also makes a line of Continuous-Feed Food Processors

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHHTtZ3Q2qo[/ame]

RR

I do think the Hobart would be too small to do a ton of rhubarb or more.

I have also thought about those apple shredders for a variety of tasks. I understand the problem with the fibers. I don't know what the inside of that apple shredder looks like. Perhaps someone else has more experience and could tell us how the shredder blades are situated? My guess is it should chop it up pretty good.

A sink disposal would be disastrous with rhubarb. It would clog in a heartbeat.

I have only made rhubarb from Juice purchased from Walkers. Could you just cut it up in 3-4" pieces than freeze it. Then thaw and add a good enzyme before fermenting.If you had it in large strainer bags it would make it easier for pressing.

Some folks buy a cheap electric leaf mulcher from Harbor Freight for shredding apples. My experience with those is anything fibrous like green plants will clog them right up.

I am trying to get away from having my workers chop so much rhubarb by hand. Sooner or later, someone is going to leave a finger or two in the bucket.

I think I am going to order one (similar to the one in the pic grapeman posted) and see how it goes. If it doesn't work well for rhubarb, I can just toss what money I have left into it and see how fast it will chew it up and spit it out. It won't be until June when I start to harvest rhubarb. I'll report back here to let you guys n gals know how it fared.

Appreciate the feedback. Thanks RR for the info and links.

Latest posts

Back