Rhubarb Not Clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceegar

Reaction score
How long does it take to at least see a START of Rhubarb wine clearing? My 1 gal batch finished a couple of weeks ago and it is still as cloudy today as it was the day it finished.

Did you add pectic enzyme before the yeast?
How many times you rack it?
Did you degas yet? If not this will help alot in clearing.

Did you add pectic enzyme before the yeast?
How many times you rack it?
Did you degas yet? If not this will help alot in clearing.

I've degassed it and can't remember if I used pectic enzyme in the recipe - I'm at work and can't check my notes. I've racked it maybe 3 times now since pitching the yeast and I even tried a little bentonite a few days ago. It's pretty cloudy except up in the neck of the jug it's pretty clear.

My rhubarb wine isn't very pink colored either. I didn't do a good job of extracting the juice must be, and maybe didn't have a whole lot of deep red stalks to work with. it's got a slight shade of pink but not much.

I know you deal with mostly 6 gal batches and it's a lot easier to degas from a carboy, but what's a good way to degas a 1 gal batch? I had to rack it into a 3 gal bucket with the cane inserted into the airlock hole in the lid to keep it from splashing all over - it was messy.

Well add it now (pectic).
Yea I don't do anything smaller than 5 gallons. Reason is and mistake / calculation is magnified 5 times on a 1 gallon batch. Maybe someone will explain how they degas a 1 gal batch. I say its the same as a 5-6 gallon batch.
What kind of clairifier did you add?

Ceegar,

Rhubarb takes ages to clear anyway even with pectic enzyme. Put the gallon jar in a cool place and just leave it a couple of months.. it will clear eventually and you can't drink rhubarb before at least a year old anyway, so you may as well treat it as a bulk stored wine.

Allie

Speaking of bulk storage I seem to remember something about adding k-meta every 3 months? Is that correct?
Thanks, Steve

Yep just mix a 1/4 tsp of k-meta in a small amt of water and add.

No pectic enzyme in the recipe, and I'm out. I just placed an order today from Midwest so it's on the way.

I'll treat it and put it away. It wasn't anything I was going to drink stratight anyway - I made it to make a blend of 40%-30%-30% of strawberry, rhubarb and honey.

No pectic enzyme in the recipe, and I'm out. I just placed an order today from Midwest so it's on the way.

I'll treat it and put it away. It wasn't anything I was going to drink stratight anyway - I made it to make a blend of 40%-30%-30% of strawberry, rhubarb and honey.
Man that sounds good!!

Latest posts

Back