Rhubarb need advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtstar

Reaction score
Hi just need some advice on rubarb it is time to start harvesting it and wanted to know if anyone has put any up and the best way to do it I have access to a juicer that I can use or should cut it up and freeze it then thaw it out later and press it at that time

I think freeze and then juice (thaw if needed) would get your maximum liquid out.

I tend to freeze with rhubarb. It softens all the stringy bits and makes it all easier to use.

Freeze first for sure. No need to blanch I wouldn't think. Freezing will help expand and break down the cells and fiber and you will be sure to get the max juice out. Same goes for any fresh fruit or beriies. Freeze first, and freeze it hard and then thaw.

Where are you that you are harvesting rhubarb already?? Geez, just seen our first pussy willows around here and they would be difficult to see if it wasn't for the snow behind them!!

Good luck Jack. Hope you got lots! Dont forget, Rhubarb pie is great too!! Don't even tell me you are harvesting pie crusts this early too! LOL

P.S.,the above said is for if you are using this for wine juice. If you were thinking about using it later for pies or jam or something, there may be a different way to put them up. This sounds almost like an Allie or Julie question to me.

Good luck no matter what.

Last edited:
Freeze first for sure. No need to blanch I wouldn't think. Freezing will help expand and break down the cells and fiber and you will be sure to get the max juice out. Same goes for any fresh fruit or beriies. Freeze first, and freeze it hard and then thaw.

Where are you that you are harvesting rhubarb already?? Geez, just seen our first pussy willows around here and they would be difficult to see if it wasn't for the snow behind them!!

Good luck Jack. Hope you got lots! Dont forget, Rhubarb pie is great too!! Don't even tell me you are harvesting pie crusts this early too! LOL

P.S.,the above said is for if you are using this for wine juice. If you were thinking about using it later for pies or jam or something, there may be a different way to put them up. This sounds almost like an Allie or Julie question to me.

Good luck no matter what.

I live in northeast Nebraska I saw some field corn already sprouting yesterday it is suppose to get up to 78 degrees by Tuesdays My wife has a recipe for rhubarb tort that is to die for she will be making that this weekend so I think freezing it will be

Rhubarb is being harvested here in Ct. already. A local winery (about 45 minutes away from me) has just sent me an email on this and is selling it by the lb and also potted to plant. I may go there and get a few plants.

Having just eatin a piece of Straw-Rubarb pie, I feel for you Artic. I just freeze it or take the sugar jar outside and pick and eat. The method is lick rubarb,dip in sugar, bite off. Repeat until to get to leaves.Dont eat leaves,VERY BAD FOR YOU :) ;)

The problem with rhubarb is not only to get the juice out, but it is also the high acidity.

Getting the juice out is the least of the problems:
Freeze it for a few days and then thaw it.
The rhubarb will be so soft that you can put it in a cheesecloth and press it by hand.

Lowering acidity is a bit more complicated.
You can dillute the juice but then you will be dilluting flavor also and I
am not an advocate of that.
You could use chalk, but chalk will give an off taste when used in great amounts.

So I have devellopped another method which idea was initiated by a Belgium winemaker called Gocar.

You freeze the juice again.
Now when frozen you will see dark spots on the icelump.
That is were the acid is concentrated.
Cut them away with a knife and you will have a pure juice low acid rhubarbjuice.

The method I describe here can be found on my web-log (you really should read it all more often) in this entry:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2007/06/scroll-down-for-english-text-al-lange.html

And I made 2 different wines using this method which both came out great. For both I used a slightly different procedure you can read them here:

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2009/09/rabarberwijn-1-rhubarbwine-1.html

and here:

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2009/09/rabarberwijn-2-rhubarbwine-2.html

As usual the method and procedures are clearly documented with photo's.

Luc

Thank you for posting this again I knew I had read something about this before just didn't remember where now I can go back and do some more studying before I attempt my first batch

harvest rhubarb late spring through to the end of summer.

like others here, freeze it before use.

Allie

Thanks Luc, last time I made Rhubarb wine was in the 80's and I wasn't
pleased with the result and the thought of injesting all that oxalic acid.
But now I just might try the freezing method, (It was a shame seening I have strawberry rubarb growing like weeds)
Randy

Like I wrote in my article there is no recipe: it is a method.

So the amount of rhubarb juice will vary each time you will use this method depending on the amount of acid in the juice.

The best way to make wine is to let the amount of wine you make be dependend on the juice and not the other way round.

Luc

If I understand the method correctly my question should have been worded differently. So as long as the acid levels are good, use as much of the pure juce as possible?

Latest posts

Back