Rhubarb just will not get going - any thoughts welcomed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas8861

Junior
Reaction score
For the last couple of years our rhubarb attempts have been less than impressive.

Following standard recipe - adding precipitated chalk to bring the PH level down (on litmus paper test) but it still does not fire up in the demi john like our other attempts and last year though the rhubarb flavour was good it had little body or strength.

Is there a chemical profile that I need to consider? If I add more yeast nutrient will it damage chances? Any thoughts welcomed - we have two gallons underway each year and when its good its lovely but we combined poor results with some super ginger wine last year which turned out good!

Rgds

Hello thomas and welcome to the forum,

please list your recipe so we can help..

Allie

A bit late, but I just got back from a 3 week Holliday in France.

Two years a go I did some experiments using the freezing rhubarb, thawing and freezing the juice again.
Using this method you can get rid of the acid without having to use chalk (which may impart some off flavors when used in excessive amounts).

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2007/06/scroll-down-for-english-text-al-lange.html

This year I put the experiment to work.
I made 2 different rhubarb wines from (as I recall) 17 kilo rhubarb I received as a gift from a Dutch winemaker who I gave some winemaking advise along the way.

Rhubarb has a strong flavor but there will be almost no body in the wine. It makes a fresh summer evening sitting-in the-garden-sipping-wine wine. It will however not be a great wine on itself.

Luc
You could add raisins or banana's for adding body

Latest posts

Back