Rhubarb Dessert Wine (Port-style)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khristyjeff

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to help from this forum, I was able to make a very nice rhubarb wine--I made it full strength meaning no water added. Lots of rhubarb flavor, back sweetended slightly and an ABV around 13%. It got me wondering if a Rhubarb Dessert wine might be nice to try.

My Dessert wines from kits result in ABV's between 15% and 19% so I thought I'd target 18% ABV. I'm leaning towards chaptalizing rather than fortifying but am open to your suggestions. To make it a dessert wine I'm guessing I'd back sweeten more than I did the rhubarb wine but how much? Thanks for all your suggestions.

@Rice_Guy @GreginND @ChuckD @hounddawg

Rhubarb at pH 2.8 is a lot of stress on the yeast without adding 18% alcohol. If you pushed the pH up to 3.2 the yeast would be happier giving you high alcohol.
The way my mind operates, you are adding sugar which is pH transparent. ,,, I wonder how much you could drag the pH up if you used frozen white grape or frozen apple concentrate (pH 3.5) for your sugar source. A down side is you would be adding lots of TA which translates into needing to back sweeten a lot. Ought to be a flavor bomb though.

? ,,, This would be like fermenting a high alcohol skeeter pee. ,,, how has that been done?

Chaptalizing is far cheaper than fortifying, so going with that makes more sense. Start with an appropriate yeast, and around 15% ABV inoculate with an EC-1118 overnight starter, which will carry the ferment farther. If the yeast quits prior to 18%, then fortify, possibly to 19% or 20%.

I like David's idea of using white grape or apple concentrate for a sugar source, adding it up front. Yeah, this will change the overall flavor, but it should be subtle and the result should be pleasing.

Backsweetening? Don't even think about that now, as there is no way to judge. It's going to depend on the acid level and your preferences.

I poured a glass of the FWK Frutta Blackberry for a friend -- RS is 5%. He's a dry red drinker and was humoring me. The wine surprised him, as the very initial taste was sweet, but then the acid overwhelmed the sugar, leaving the impression of an off-dry wine. He actually liked it.

This is one to chaptalize/fortify to 18%+, then backsweeten in stages. Add enough sugar to hit 2% RS, stir well, and let it meld for a week. Taste. Repeat as needed until you're happy.

This is NOT my normal process -- I backsweeten few wines, and my version of "sweet" is a lot dryer than most folks. I typically backsweeten-n-bottle. However, the FWK Blackberry taught me a lesson in backsweetening, so for a high acid wine, I'll do stages.

" ,,, This would be like fermenting a high alcohol skeeter pee. ,,, how has that been done?"

I'll search through the skeeter pee thread to see what information I can glean. Thank you both!
using EC-1118 i run my skeeter pee to 18% ABV TO 21%ABV STEP FEEDING,,, then add 750 ml per 6 gallon of 190 proof PGA, I ALSO use 1 quart lemon juice per gallon skeeter pee.... we hilllbillys love it,,, lol
Dawg

wish i was a better driver, everything iced last night, i hit a glancing blow to one of them giant snow plows, took out my entire driver side, threw out my back and left knee, i feel like a hammered turd today,,,,
Dawg
Dawg, I thought we agreed, no more kicking your own ass!

Go easy on them old bones!

Man is @BigDaveK avoiding me ?????
man I think I just might have hurt feelings, to go with my left knee, back, neck, and a very bad stone brushed left heel, i need a few ole timers they'll hang with me, lol
Dawg
Oh gosh no!!
Generally I'm only here for a bit in the AM and PM. Too many other things to do - some I want to do, some I have to do.

@hounddawg If your roads are anything like hwy 7 down there, you could not have paid me to get on them with a covering of ice. Have enough problems up here with the roads straight as a string. Take care and stay home til the ice goes away. Arne.

@hounddawg If your roads are anything like hwy 7 down there, you could not have paid me to get on them with a covering of ice. Have enough problems up here with the roads straight as a string. Take care and stay home til the ice goes away. Arne.
i left the house, 30 minutes later you could not see the highway, i was less then 2 miles from home, as soon as i seen the roads turning white i turned around, BUT if it makes you feel guilty i was on my way to see my buddy @Arne , cough, sniffle, smirk,
Honest Dawg. BAHWAAAA lol

i left the house, 30 minutes later you could not see the highway, i was less then 2 miles from home, as soon as i seen the roads turning white i turned around, BUT if it makes you feel guilty i was on my way to see my buddy @Arne , cough, sniffle, smirk,
Honest Dawg. BAHWAAAA lol
You folks down there just South of Swamp East MO got quite the ice storm a few nights ago. I'm glad it went South of me up here in St. Louis. We have just been cold.

Latest posts

Back