Rhubarb clarification

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyc

Reaction score
It's about time to bottle my Rhubarb wine from last spring. This is the second batch I've made. When I clarified last year's batch with Superkleer it completely cut out the pink color and left me with a golden/yellow wine (see attached pics); love the wine, just would have liked to keep some of the pink hue. Any suggestions?

20170115_124251.jpg

20170115_124257.jpg

I've got some rhubarb that needs to be clarified and was hoping to keep the pink color as well. Would Sparkolloid be a better option? It worked well on some apple.
Along the same line - once you clarify, whether Sparkolloid or KC - will it continue to ferment? My rhubarb has been slow fermenting and doesn't seem like it wants to get above 1.002 on the hydrometer. I don't want to clarify too early and affect the meager fermentation.

In my experience the sulfites always bleach out any pink color. If you want it to remain pink you will have to use something else to color it with. I think of Rhubarb as a white wine.

I have made several batches of rhubarb wine and have not used a clarifying agent and always turns out a nice pink color,you could leave it sit in the carboy longer or rack again and wait.

back sweeten the rhubarb with raspberry juice, or make a batch of raspberry wine at the same time you make rhubarb and blend them at the end.

You get a really pretty color, and the flavors work together very well.

Back