rhubarb and ???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mersydo

Junior
Reaction score
would like to make rhubarb plus "something with it" wine-the "something" hopefully being in season or shortly in season in central illinois. any ideas and possible recipes?

also, i made my first batch of wine ever last august and am about ready to uncork it to try some-is there any signs i should look for that something went wrong ( or is taste the only issue ). it was peach wine plus a small quicky batch of pear wine. thank you

I've found that rhubarb blends well with lots of things. Just keep in mind that it is pretty high in acid, so be careful if blending it with another high acid fruit.

I was wondering about a can of welches grape juice concentrate/coktail with rhubarb. Do you add any chalk to the recipe?

I read soewhere that blending anything with Rhubarb over-rides its tatse as its quite subtle so Id e careful blending it.

I used calcium caronate to deal with the acidity and will see if I like it as Ive only done one batch so far. Didnt like the smell when I bottled it but it tasted nice, hopefully it ages well!

I've got a recipe somewhere for a sparkling rhubarb.. it's got very little alcohol in it.. but you can drink it soon after bottling and the kids love it. It's about the same strength as a homemade ginger beer. (2-3%)

I can hunt it out if anyone is interested.

Allie

I just started a batch of rhubarb. I still had some in the freezer from last year to use up. The fresh stuff is going into crisps, deserts, and jam.

I'm making this using apple-raspberry frozen concentrate and the chopped rhubarb. I haven't done anything to adjust acid, I'll wait and see how it turns out and adjust later if needed.

100_2720.jpg

I just started a batch of rhubarb. I still had some in the freezer from last year to use up. The fresh stuff is going into crisps, deserts, and jam.

I'm making this using apple-raspberry frozen concentrate and the chopped rhubarb. I haven't done anything to adjust acid, I'll wait and see how it turns out and adjust later if needed.

100_2720.jpg

you might want to check out Luc blog he has done a lot of research in the making of rhubarb wine and has a lot of very good information that he shares on the subject

Latest posts

Back