REVIEW: *allinonewinepump*

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did flood the additional headspace with some additional CO2 prior to pulling a vacuum.

Steve, since the discussion is on the headspace Eliminators, I have a question. The instructions say when you are pulling the vacuum, to do it until the pump strains a little. I've done quite a few now and it only takes a few seconds for the bulb to compress, but I have waited as long as a minute without hearing any kind of bog down of the pump. I don't want to hurt the pump and it would seem there must be a good vacuum in there, but should I wait longer? The one way valves seem to hold well and there is always a "pop" when I get around to removing the Eliminators.

Steve, since the discussion is on the headspace Eliminators, I have a question. The instructions say when you are pulling the vacuum, to do it until the pump strains a little. I've done quite a few now and it only takes a few seconds for the bulb to compress, but I have waited as long as a minute without hearing any kind of bog down of the pump. I don't want to hurt the pump and it would seem there must be a good vacuum in there, but should I wait longer? The one way valves seem to hold well and there is always a "pop" when I get around to removing the Eliminators.
I’ve run mine 15 minutes pulling on a head space eliminator. You won’t hurt that pump. You might trip the thermal breaker but just as soon as it cools off it’ll go right back to work.

I'm asking because I don't know. But if you flood the headspace with a gas, then apply the vacuum, aren't you just sucking out the gas you just put in? Thanks in advance for the input - I'm thinking this might not work the way I thought.

Yeah, but the idea is to lower the oxygen content in the headspace by flushing with gas, and then lowering it further by removing a fraction of the gas in the headspace. So, let's say you start out with 2.5 liter of air, which is ~21% oxygen, so 0.525L of O2. You flush with CO2. Let's say you get 80% of the air out, so now you have 0.1L of air in your 2.5 L headspace. Now you suck out 3/4 of that, so you have 0.03L of O2 left.

Yeah, but the idea is to lower the oxygen content in the headspace by flushing with gas, and then lowering it further by removing a fraction of the gas in the headspace. So, let's say you start out with 2.5 liter of air, which is ~21% oxygen, so 0.525L of O2. You flush with CO2. Let's say you get 80% of the air out, so now you have 0.1L of air in your 2.5 L headspace. Now you suck out 3/4 of that, so you have 0.03L of O2 left.

I've often wondered the same thing as Jim. After reading your response I really need to kick myself in the butt for not figuring this out myself, way too logical.

Thanks Paul - For that explanation

I’ve run mine 15 minutes pulling on a head space eliminator. You won’t hurt that pump. You might trip the thermal breaker but just as soon as it cools off it’ll go right back to work.

I personally don't recommend dead heading the pump for that long. This is an oil less pump and you really are not gaining anything by keeping the vacuum on. Instead reapply vacuum an hour or so latter and it will go down to 24 in hg and continue to remove vacuum till the vacuum reaches 13 in hg (which could take up to 1.5 hours ) I recommend reapply vacuum every 3 to 5th day for 2 weeks

Sounds like you are following the procedure just fine. Make sure that your precision vacuum valve is turned completely off and there are no other vacuum leaks that you are aware of. 1 minute of run time should be no problem reaching maximum vacuum within the headspace.

I personally don't recommend dead heading the pump for that long. This is an oil less pump and you really are not gaining anything by keeping the vacuum on. Instead reapply vacuum an hour or so latter and it will go down to 24 in hg and continue to remove vacuum till the vacuum reaches 13 in hg (which could take up to 1.5 hours ) I recommend reapply vacuum every 3 to 5th day for 2 weeks
Didn’t know that. Thanks.

I am glad you are enjoying your pump purchase !
Degassing made easier by just a simple racking using the Allinonewinepump -
Hi Steve, This is Belle who you spoke to last week. Just received the AIO , and while I am a bit intimidated by all the tubing I am going to brave the system today as I have both a SP and a Rhubarb to rack to carboys. I am confident that if I run into any problems that you will be thee to guide me through. Thankyou for all the tips when we spoke last week.

Hi Steve, This is Belle who you spoke to last week. Just received the AIO , and while I am a bit intimidated by all the tubing I am going to brave the system today as I have both a SP and a Rhubarb to rack to carboys. I am confident that if I run into any problems that you will be thee to guide me through. Thankyou for all the tips when we spoke last week.

Please watch this video and ALWAYS practice with water first =

getting to old and slow on pulling my splash rack bung,,,, ordered another valve like the bottling one, put it on my vacuum line on the splash rack line, now i just push the valve button and take my time removing my splash rack bung with no worries of overfilling my carboys,,,
Thank You Steve
Dawg

getting to old and slow on pulling my splash rack bung,,,, ordered another valve like the bottling one, put it on my vacuum line on the splash rack line, now i just push the valve button and take my time removing my splash rack bung with no worries of overfilling my carboys,,,
Thank You Steve
Dawg
For some reason I am not comprehending what you are saying....maybe because I just finished my first racking off using the AIO and my brain is so fuzzy with lots of questions that were not answered with Steve's instructional video. Namely: How do I sanitize all the tubing once racking is completed? Also, can I assume that the racking left the lees by virtue of the "End" of the racking cane? Should I have held the racking cane above the lees? If so, how much? I am left with so many unanswered questions? HELP

For some reason I am not comprehending what you are saying....maybe because I just finished my first racking off using the AIO and my brain is so fuzzy with lots of questions that were not answered with Steve's instructional video. Namely: How do I sanitize all the tubing once racking is completed? Also, can I assume that the racking left the lees by virtue of the "End" of the racking cane? Should I have held the racking cane above the lees? If so, how much? I am left with so many unanswered questions? HELP

I'll again preface that I am far from being a pro, so there may be better answers coming. But this is what I'm doing now.

I don't sanitize the tubing after the racking, I just flush it well with warm water in the sink and rinse the outside of it. Then I drain it as best I can and hang it up. I'll sanitize just before the next use.

I try to get as much of the lees out as I can on the 1st rack (primary to secondary) without sweating it too much. Then pour the loose lees with the remaining wine into a canning jar and refrigerate. In a couple of days there will be semi clear wine that can be sucked off the top for tasting. On later racks I do the same thing but being more careful to keep the lees down. More tasting from that too.

you can take clothes pins lower tip to it just barely touches gross lees, use clothes pins to hold racking cane to that level, come cleaning time i make a couple three gallons of water with k-meta potassium metabisulfite stick racking cane in solution and fill it up with the potassium metabisulfite , cove racking cane tips with plastic baggies, come time to use again turn pump on and pump out solution and your set to do again, when done fill with potassium metabisulfite again and recover tips
Dawg

what i was talking about is when bottling you have a valve to push to keep from over filling your wine bottles, i put a valve on my splash rack vacuum line to keep from over filling my carboys, feel free to ask questions,
Dawg

I'll again preface that I am far from being a pro, so there may be better answers coming. But this is what I'm doing now.

I don't sanitize the tubing after the racking, I just flush it well with warm water in the sink and rinse the outside of it. Then I drain it as best I can and hang it up. I'll sanitize just before the next use.

I try to get as much of the lees out as I can on the 1st rack (primary to secondary) without sweating it too much. Then pour the loose lees with the remaining wine into a canning jar and refrigerate. In a couple of days there will be semi clear wine that can be sucked off the top for tasting. On later racks I do the same thing but being more careful to keep the lees down. More tasting from that too.
make up a solution of potassium metabisulfite fill your lines and leave solution in your lines then the next time you use your pump just turn on and pump out all of the solution out and you're already sanitized , Repeat at each use,,,no need for just water,
Dawg

make up a solution of potassium metabisulfite fill your lines and leave solution in your lines then the next time you use your pump just turn on and pump out all of the solution out and you're already sanitized , Repeat at each use,,,no need for just water,
Dawg

That's a good idea. I like the clothespin idea too. Thanks Dawg!

I also have been sliding a door stop under one side of the carboy with the cane at the other to save a bit more wine.

Latest posts

Back