REVIEW: *allinonewinepump*

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PET transfer kit - thanks!

Thanks for the new PET transfer kit! Interesting product. I use all glass for my wine but still have a couple of PET containers that I use for making beer. Which means still having to hoist fermentation buckets up for gravity siphoning. I will be ordering one of these soon!

Thanks for the new PET transfer kit! Interesting product. I use all glass for my wine but still have a couple of PET containers that I use for making beer. Which means still having to hoist fermentation buckets up for gravity siphoning. I will be ordering one of these soon!

THANKS !

I have been getting alot of great reviews on it - I am actually doing a minor upgrade to the Allinonewinepump - so the vacuum can be adjustable to aid in bottling of any sort of density of fluid and give yourself even better control.

THANKS !

I have been getting alot of great reviews on it - I am actually doing a minor upgrade to the Allinonewinepump - so the vacuum can be adjustable to aid in bottling of any sort of density of fluid and give yourself even better control.

Will this be like a new software release from Apple, where the updates just get pushed to our devices? :)

Will this be like a new software release from Apple, where the updates just get pushed to our devices? :)

I'm betting that it's a little in line, adjustable, needle type valve.

I have one on the vacuum side of my pump, and allowing the vacuum line to "leak" a little, controls the intensity of the vacuum. Adjusting the leak up or down allows me to control the intensity, speed, and flow of the transfer. Sort of a variable speed control for the vacuum pump, on the vacuum side. That variability may even allow racking to plastic vessels without changing hoses, but that's just a guess, I only have glass........

Thant is correct Johnd -

I typically used a numbered size drill bit and placed a hole in the bottle filler only. I felt that this was the best option as it was the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method.

I don't believe just adding the needle valve in will be enough to transfer into plastic carboys. The bend in the 1/2'' racking cane is enough restriction to cause the plastic carboy to collapse during the experiments that I have done over the years.

The BIG DOWNSIDE - you have to adjust it every time you go between bottling and racking - I have some customers have a hard enough time just setting it up.

I guess I am looking at peoples opinions at this time - ?

Thant is correct Johnd -

I typically used a numbered size drill bit and placed a hole in the bottle filler only. I felt that this was the best option as it was the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method.

I don't believe just adding the needle valve in will be enough to transfer into plastic carboys. The bend in the 1/2'' racking cane is enough restriction to cause the plastic carboy to collapse during the experiments that I have done over the years.

The BIG DOWNSIDE - you have to adjust it every time you go between bottling and racking - I have some customers have a hard enough time just setting it up.

I guess I am looking at peoples opinions at this time - ?

I'll give mine. I'm currently using a vacuum pump, and when it breaks, and it will, AIO will be my replacement. My setup is pretty much the same as yours when racking, but my pump gets a large vacuum quickly and is too fast sometimes, especially when removing wine from skins at the end of AF. My solution is to open the cap on the extra port on the pump, to allow air into the vacuum, the amount I open it allows me to control the vacuum and hence the speed. After doing it for a while, have a pretty good feel for the vacuum gage readings that work best for different operations. Adjustments are a simple turn of the cap to adjust the air invasion.

All that said, I believe it a worthwhile feature and would select it as an option if available. If it weren't available, I'd put one in........I say go for it Steve!!

I'm sorry to ask a newbie question, but only having bottled under siphon, I am confused.

If a vacuum pump is used to pull liquid up into an empty bottle and manual control of the vacuum is used to slow the flow as the bottle gets filled, what prevents a siphon forming back to the liquid source? Is there a one-way valve in the set-up or something?

I'm sorry to ask a newbie question, but only having bottled under siphon, I am confused.

If a vacuum pump is used to pull liquid up into an empty bottle and manual control of the vacuum is used to slow the flow as the bottle gets filled, what prevents a siphon forming back to the liquid source? Is there a one-way valve in the set-up or something?

Were you able to watch the video on my website ?

There is an adjustable tube that the wine goes thru and that is your liquid height adjustment. Once the vacuum is depressed the liquid flows back down to the carboy on the floor (gravity) and you have a perfect liquid height always.

Watched some videos so think I've answered my first question but it raises another.

Seems as though the feed-in tube does not extend to the bottom of the bottle and feeds into the overflow vessel, so liquid is fed into the bottle from peak desired height (or higher), no back-siphon is ever formed, and the flow is stopped by breaking the vacuum (lifting the stopper). The vacuum tube back to the overflow vessel determines fill height and once liquid reaches that height it flows to the overflow vessel and stops filling the bottle. As long as the feed-in tube is higher than this target fill level determined by the height of the vacuum tube, no siphon is ever formed between the filled bottle and the source container.

This is a poor-man's one-way valve and I understand how it works but it raises another question: is there any downside to the increased aeration associated with top-filling versus bottom-filling? I've always used a bottle-filler attachment to fill bottles from the bottom-up. This is very gentle and minimizes aeration. Is this preferable for bottling wine or is the increased aeration associated with having the wine fill the bottle by flowing down the inside surface of the glass (or pouring from above) either equivalent or desirable?

Last edited:
You are always welcome to PM me with your phone # and I can call you and answer all your questions and concerns -

is there any downside to the increased aeration associated with top-filling versus bottom-filling?

I do not believe so - there is an adjustment on the bottle filler to slow the process down, so there is minimal agitation. There is very minimal Oxygen contact due to that you are filling under vacuum. It also is angled to the side of the neck rather than just splashing downwards,

I am in the process of getting adjustable valves so you can adjust your vacuum flow into your bottle with no agitation at all ! But the down side is - it takes longer to fill your bottles.

Seems as though the feed-in tube does not extend to the bottom of the bottle and feeds into the overflow vessel, so liquid is fed into the bottle from peak desired height (or higher), no back-siphon is ever formed, and the flow is stopped by breaking the vacuum (lifting the stopper). The vacuum tube back to the overflow vessel determines fill height and once liquid reaches that height it flows to the overflow vessel and stops filling the bottle. As long as the feed-in tube is higher than this target fill level determined by the height of the vacuum tube, no siphon is ever formed between the filled bottle and the source container.

I am confused on this above statement ^
vacuum is stopped using the hand held vacuum release- This is a manual operation -
The overflow bottle is if you only overfilled your bottles - you cannot pull back from the overflow bottle - typically you might have 2 tablespoons in there after doing 30 bottles -
YES a siphon is created from the filling bottle and and the source container

Last edited:
You are always welcome to PM me with your phone # and I can call you and answer all your questions and concerns -

Again, I'm a newbie, so anytime you think my questions won't benefit the Forum as a while, send me a PM and I'll be happy to take the discussion private.

fafrd said:
is there any downside to the increased aeration associated with top-filling versus bottom-filling?

I do not believe so - there is an adjustment on the bottle filler to slow the process down, so there is minimal agitation. There is very minimal Oxygen contact due to that you are filling under vacuum. It also is angled to the side of the neck rather than just splashing downwards,

I am in the process of getting adjustable valves so you can adjust your vacuum flow into your bottle with no agitation at all ! But the down side is - it takes longer to fill your bottles.

I had forgotten about the fact that the filled bottle is under vacuum, and so I can see how whether splashed or run down the sides, there should be much less aeration.

fafrd said:

I am confused on this above statement ^
vacuum is stopped using the hand held vacuum release- This is a manual operation -
The overflow bottle is if you only overfilled your bottles - you cannot pull back from the overflow bottle - typically you might have 2 tablespoons in there after doing 30 bottles -
YES a siphon is created from the filling bottle and and the source container

From the videos, I've understood how there is a handheld vacuum release and it is a manual operation to release the vacuum either by releasing the control hole or pulling the stopper out of the filled bottle.

And I also believe that if the filling tube is higher than the overflow/vacuum tube in the bottle, no siphon can form back to the source bottle since there is always an air gap between the filled bottle and the filling tube back to the source bottle.

So if you say that there IS a siphon created from the filling bottle back to the source container, then first I assume that means that the filling tube extends below the vacuum/overflow tube (and that the filling tube could even extend close to the bottom of the bottle) and second, it means I am still confused about my original question:

Once vacuum is released (either by pulling a thumb off of the control hole or breaking seal between stopper and filled bottle), what prevents wine siphoning back from the filled bottle to the source vessel?

Last edited:
Wow, I'm pretty sure I would not be bottling wine on my pool table!

Especially when it appears that the lady has been drinking on the job!
smilie.gif
[Note wine glass and open bottle in the picture.]

originally posted by fafrd
From the videos, I've understood how there is a handheld vacuum release and it is a manual operation to release the vacuum either by releasing the control hole or pulling the stopper out of the filled bottle.

I only recommend using the vacuum release according to the manual - http://www.allinonewinepump.com/one-wine-pump-user-manual/

And I also believe that if the filling tube is higher than the overflow/vacuum tube in the bottle, no siphon can form back to the source bottle since there is always an air gap between the filled bottle and the filling tube back to the source bottle.

The fill tube is lower than the vacuum

So if you say that there IS a siphon created from the filling bottle back to the source container, then first I assume that means that the filling tube extends below the vacuum/overflow tube (and that the filling tube could even extend close to the bottom of the bottle) and second, it means I am still confused about my original question:

The fill tube is lower than the vacuum - it is not designed to typically go past the shoulder of the bottle -
not sure about your original question ?

Once vacuum is released (either by pulling a thumb off of the control hole or breaking seal between stopper and filled bottle), what prevents wine siphoning back from the filled bottle to the source vessel?

I only recommend using the vacuum release valve -

It will siphon back to the desired level height that the fill tube is set at

I did PM you - BTW

I think you are confused about the fill tube and the vacuum/overflow line. The fill tube is the one that is visible, extending an inch or so below the stopper. The overflow tube is basically level with the bottom of the stopper. When you hit the vacuum release the fill tube becomes a gravity siphon back to your source container. When the liquid siphons below the level of the tube, the siphon stops and this establishes the consistent fill level for each bottle. If you let the liquid hit the bottom of the stopper, the vacuum sucks it into the overflow bottle.

I think you are confused about the fill tube and the vacuum/overflow line. The fill tube is the one that is visible, extending an inch or so below the stopper. The overflow tube is basically level with the bottom of the stopper. When you hit the vacuum release the fill tube becomes a gravity siphon back to your source container. When the liquid siphons below the level of the tube, the siphon stops and this establishes the consistent fill level for each bottle. If you let the liquid hit the bottom of the stopper, the vacuum sucks it into the overflow bottle.

Yeah, I see than now - it's the height of the fill tube and not the vacuum tube that sets fill level. The siphon back to thevsiyrce container 'back-off' the fill level until the siphon is broken by dropping belie the hight of the fill tube, and voula, bottle is filled to exactly the level if the fill tube. Nifty.

And so once you get trained well enough to release vacuum before liquid hits the vacuum tube, no liquid is ever sucked into the overflow vessel.

I though the back siphon woukd cause a problem but it was designed in as part of the solution.

Correct.

Steve thought this out long and hard and came out with a great solution that works great. I'm not very "photogenic" so I've not posted a video of me using the allinone but let me tell you it's the best piece of equipment I've ever bought.

And so once you get trained well enough to release vacuum before liquid hits the vacuum tube, no liquid is ever sucked into the overflow vessel.

Even it it hits the tube a very slight amount goes back to the bottle. With a little practice one can "feather " the vac release to get it just right.

Latest posts

Back