REVIEW: *All in One Headspace Eliminator*

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul
Thanks for that clarification -

I can test the pump with another vacuum gauge , but the pump was designed around those specs and specific LPM as well.

In either case I feel that this is a good ,cheap way to help with your excessive headspace without the need to top off with a similar wine.

I just took one of mine apart, added a brake bleeder valve and hooked up to the all in one. Best I could get was right at 20

In either case I feel that this is a good ,cheap way to help with your excessive headspace without the need to top off with a similar wine.

Yup, and my point is that it appears to be an even BETTER solution for removing oxygen from the headspace than one would have expected based on your gauge's reading.

I bought 5 of these headspace eliminators and to be totally honest I wished I had bought 10. It's so much nicer to be able to walk In and tell at a glance if any of my wines is in danger of losing to bung

Does anyone have any idea if this would still be efficient enough when used on a 25ltr glass container with a 2 liter headspace?
Or would there be too much oxygen left?

Does anyone have any idea if this would still be efficient enough when used on a 25ltr glass container with a 2 liter headspace?
Or would there be too much oxygen left?

Is the wine still producing CO2 ?
If so you should be OK - It will displace a lot of the left over air in the headspace and you may have to turn on the vacuum pump on again -

I can go more in details over the phone if you would like

No basicly it would be used right after the degassing stage (clearing and some aging).
carboys are hard to get here, but I can easily get 25 ltr glass demijohns.
They leave 2 liter headspace which is a bit too much to top off...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoQiNtvV_gg[/ame]

Please let me know of peoples opinions on this idea -

I know that the video needs a bit of help - but I have to wait till fall because I have no wine with any CO2 issues

Last edited:
Can you use the racking bung on an empty carboy, and attach the HE were the racking cane would normally go?

Can you use the racking bung on an empty carboy, and attach the HE were the racking cane would normally go?

@ Rich

Little confused ?

You really need 2 headspace eliminators in order to make this work properly -

This way you can disconnect the carboy that is degassing without having to swap things over and re-vacuum it all over again

What did you think of the video quality ?

I hope to have something better in the fall

If you are still confused - please PM me and I can talk to you at your convenience and walk you thru the process

You propose:

Pump -> HE/empty carboy -> HE -> carboy with wine.

Your proposal allows removing the pump and using it for other stuff.

I propose:

Pump -> Racking Bung/empty carboy -> HE -> carboy with wine.

This requires leaving the pump connected, and presumes that there is no leakage from the pump.

@ Rich -

I did some tests and the pump will leak down not hooked up to the 3 gallon carboy about 1 inch of vacuum per minute, approx.

But the main issue is starting ANY VACUUM PUMP while it is under a vacuum - can prematurely destroy it.

Rich - you principle will work as long as you do not restart the pump while there is still vacuum in the system - best would be to but an inline valve and release the vacuum pressure off the vacuum pump.

Latest posts

Back