Reusing the fine lees.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosyden

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see that skeeter pee uses the sediment from from the racking of another wine to start fermentation. It’s got me thinking about using some of the lees off my fruit wines. I’m curious if the lees impart flavour to the new wine. For example, would the lees off my gooseberry add any flavour to leaf wine?

Good advice Dave. Like you, I’ve generally been tasting everything. When I next rack I’ll try the sediment and, if it’s any good, I’ll use it.

In your readings was it done on the yeast cake in the primary fermentation vessel or lees in a secondary or aging vessel? I’ve never made SP.
This is not uncommon in the brewing world. I’ve done it several times but no later than the next day after pressure transfer of the beer from the fermentation vessel to kegs. Usually I would do the transfer during the mash and boil and have near instantaneous strong fermentation.
Once I made a country wine using canned juice base on top of the grape skins and yeast cake and it took off like a bat out of hell. Tasting it is a good idea but if it is from a freshly fermented Bach I think you’ll be fine.

Latest posts

Back