Reusing Screw Top Bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May I ask, how do you remove the original sleeve?
Thank you, God bless
Here's what I do: First, I push down and twist on the sleeve to stretch the bottom of the sleeve to make some space to slide a sturdy-bladed utility knive underneath. Next, work the blade upwards (away from me) slowly, tearing the soft aluminum capsule as the blade goes up. I'm very careful when cutting through and removing the capsule because the edges of the aluminum are very sharp. I have yet to cut myself (knock on wood) even after removing probably well over a hundred of the things. Just be very very careful.

I use a table knife to slide under one of the edges and pry it up enough to use a needlenose pliers to pull it off.

I try to be really careful because the knife can slip. I managed to cut myself when I was removing a large number of them to provide bottles for wedding table decor for a relative's wedding.
Thank you Jovemaple.👍

It seems a pair of dyke pliers would work well. With their sharp tapered nose, they could get on both sides of the sleeve and just snip it. I have used this method to remove the remnant from gallon, half gallon and 3-liter jugs that I use for aging.

1657237092061.png

Buy good quality corks and leaking or rotting is not an issue. Removing that sleeve - no thanks adding one more hazard to the process doesn't make it worth it.
With a little patience and planning ahead finding corked bottles at the local recycling center hasn't been an issue. So free bottles and Nomacorks at $.22 per. No comparison. Premium natural corks even less. Never had a leaker so I'm not sweating over that.

Hi all. I also use the scewtops...I use normal thread tape when I secure the top...maybe a bit primitive but it works very well...and can be re-used a couple of times.

* I also will reuse some screw caps on every carboy/ bottle run, ie tasting bottles. If it drips when placed on its side that cap is tossed/ another one is tried.
* in the winery natural cork diffuses oxygen, about five mg per year. metal caps/ Saran are rated at .1 mg diffusion per year. ,,, metal starts as a significantly tighter seal, with low ullage reused screw caps should be in the same range of oxygen exposure as natural cork.
* bottle lines will do tricks as dosing liquid nitrogen in the ullage or pulling a vacuum. If you really really want shelf life consider a synthetic cork combined with an inert gas.
* conclusion ,,,, if you like natural cork why bother worrying about reusing aluminum caps since you are in the same range of oxygen ingress. ,,,, much of the mystique of natural corks is just marketing.

Last edited:
I use my empty Grolsch Bottle for skeeter pee
I think buying swing top bottles would be way expensive but if you like pilsners, it is a great beer with a free swing top.
As far a screw tops, how long will you have the batched bottled? I think it will be fine as long as you screw them down tight.

I remove the sleeve with a Hook Blade for one of my Utility Knives. They are designed for roofers to safely cut shingles and for cutting carpet.
You simply slide the tip of the knife under the sleeve and pull. It won't scratch the bottle up and is very safe. I can remove the sleeve in less than 30 seconds and very safely.
A quick surch for Hook Blade for utility knife will show you what they look like.

Welcome to wine making talk
I remove the sleeve with a Hook Blade for one of my Utility Knives. They are designed for roofers to safely cut shingles and for cutting carpet.
You simply slide the tip of the knife under the sleeve and pull. It won't scratch the bottle up and is very safe. I can remove the sleeve in less than 30 seconds and very safely.
A quick surch for Hook Blade for utility knife will show you what they look like.
This thread is from back in 2022

Latest posts

Back