Reusing bottles with built-in weird cork thing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halcyon1234

Junior
Reaction score
I've been collecting bottles to reuse to bottle a batch of wine I'm making. I'll be sanitizing, using fresh corks, etc, etc.

But I have a couple of these types of bottles, that have a plastic bung stopper that is held in place with a-- metal-- thing. (see pic below)

My question is: are these types of bottles reusable? Can I just wash/sanitize it like the others, fill it, and close it up using the metal tab?

Thanks!

bottle2.jpg

Sure you can reuse them. Your local brew store probably has new gaskets for them if you like. I have used the old gaskets a couple of times, then replace them after they get some age on them. I have never used them to age wine in tho. So far just used them with skeeter pee that doesn't seem to last very long. Arne.

they are great for anything that is consumed quickly....those are actually prized by beer makers for bottling as they are much easier to use as opposed to actually using a capper....they are commonly referred to as "grolsch" bottles because that is the name of a commercial beer maker who is famous for using that style of bottle for their product...

I use them for root beer and also mist type wines and have had no problem with them at all. They actually make wine bottles with these closures as well - I have about a dozen that had a sparkling wine from the Veneto region in Italy.

I was informed they make too tight a seal and there is no micro oxidation so you would not want to bottle a wine you do not plan on drinking soon but skeeter pee or such would probably work fine.
I have about 30 of those but in big blue magnum size to use for beer but have put wine in them for short storage and they work absolutely great. ... just fyi if you are planning on soaking to take the label off be sure to take the metal off the bottle first as it corrodes and is hard to clean up after.

I have a bunch of the Grolsch Beer bottles that have that type of closure. Use them for Skeeter Pee sometimes. Need to dig them out so I can get organized.

I have a couple of them (they were from olive oil) and I use them for my "last bottle" when bottling, aka my QA sample. I do not use them for long term storage of the wine.

Cool, thanks for the info! The gaskets look okay, but if I'm going to order corks and a corker, I might get some extra gaskets to be safe.

@Doug: Could you provide me a direct link to the gaskets? I tried searching for the product on your site, but I suck at searching. =)

Latest posts

Back