Returning after 8 years - Need some chardonnay suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyP

Reaction score
For several years into 2013, I was very into wine making and did numerous kits, primarily Winexpert and RJS, but others as well. Coming back into the game I'm finding a lot has changed in the way of brands and selections but for right now I want to stay with those two. I want to start with a chardonnay or blend and I'd appreciate advice on one with minimal or no oak. A minimum 14 liters. A 6-8 week process is right for me. I don't see myself doing much experimenting until my confidence returns so I'd like something that works as is. I'll likely spread my drinking over 9+ months. The ones that peaked my interest are RJS Argentine Trio and Chile Chardonnay and Winexpert Sonoma Dry Creek but I'm open to anything good. Suggestions please.

Welcome back! I’ve made the WE Sonoma Dry Creek Chardonnay many times with stellar results. It does not come with oak.

It’s a big Chardonnay and needs time to develop. I wouldn’t plan on drinking it for 12-18 months after fermentation. That’s when it gets really good!

Go for it!

It’s a big Chardonnay and needs time to develop. I wouldn’t plan on drinking it for 12-18 months after fermentation. That’s when it gets really good!

Thanks for responding. My stock is close to empty. I'd prefer not to do a wine that takes 12-18 months at the start. Instead, I'd like to start with a wine I can drink in under a year, then build a cellar with more variety. I suspect I'm over reaching and should be going for wines with a maximum of 14 liters rather than a minimum. Can anyone comment on this.

Well, as the vintner and cellar manager, you get to make all the decisions. To be clear, the kit we’re discussing will be very drinkable on your timeline and size specifications. It will be better if given the chance. Your cost should be under $6 a bottle, much cheaper than grabbing some super market bottle.

If you’re serious about this hobby you’ll have more than enough aging in a couple of years.

Again, go for it.

Does it have to be chardonnay? 2 years ago I made the R J Spagnols Grand Cru Verdicchio kit. I cracked a bottle at the 6 month mark (post bottling) and was surprised at how bright and crisp it was. It reminded me of some Vouvre, although the grape is Italian, not French. Currently it's mellowed a lot and is aging nicely, but I find I preferred the taste it had during the 6 to 12 months after bottling. I'll probably do this one again and mark it as an early drinker.

Bryan, thanks for the suggestion. I'm trying to stick with varietals I can identify or figure out so I can compare the finished product to what I think it should be so this won't work for me right now. At any rate, while searching for Verdicchio I came across your website which I quickly figured to be you by the logo and your name. It's quite nice.
Tony

Any kit that's a blend always gets my attention, especially whites.

@TonyP -- I understand about the varietal need. Unfortunately, in my experience, a 14L kit won't be as drinkable in 9 months. For that you may want to go with a 10L kit, for the first one, anyway. [Or did I misunderstand your post?]

I'm glad you like my site -- it's honestly been handy having all the notes online.

My grape warrior avatar was built by a friend for a Dungeons & Dragons board, although it works well here.

Latest posts

Back