Retail Wine By The Glass

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegionRat

Reaction score
A few years ago while traveling I came across something similar in Japan. They were above average in taste.

I had up to then, not seen anything like this in the US. Just a few hours ago I came across this display at the local wine store. I came home with a Merlot and a Cab Sav. I am, as I type this drinking the Merlot. I am not impressed so far..... Wine by the galss.jpg

RR

Last edited:
I had their Pinot Grigio at Sea World in Orlando last month. Also not impressed. But it was better than not having wine at all. :)

I got wine in a tetra pack (juice box) on the golf course. Peller Estates, and it was not bad!

I saw that packaging on the Tv show Shark Tank. The guys with money had the sense not to invest in this twice. The inventor seemed very cocktail and greedy. It didn't seem like a good idea to me, afterall most wine bottles only have two or three glasses in them as it is. Of course, I don't do 8 ounce pours.

I've seen them for about 5 years or so.

At festivals and in parks they are sold instead of having to pour. Its a good idea for convenience, but the wine isn't very good quality.

I like the idea that you have a glass that you can save and re-purpose. It'd really be nice ifn it were a decent wine as it would be a relatively inexpensive way to try a wine that you think you might want to make.

I remember that episode. They were interested in the patent only. He was a winemaker interested in selling his wine with this novel method of selling a glass at a time at the supermarket.

Wonder if he still holds the patent or if he sold out. We have those wines even here at our local Smith's (Kroger). I don't see them moving at all.

I saw that packaging on the Tv show Shark Tank. The guys with money had the sense not to invest in this twice. The inventor seemed very cocktail and greedy. It didn't seem like a good idea to me, afterall most wine bottles only have two or three glasses in them as it is. Of course, I don't do 8 ounce pours.

He was a winemaker interested in selling his wine with this novel method of selling a glass at a time at the supermarket.

I realize that this is a totally different situation, but (ka-ching!) my local mom-and-pop gourmet supermarket (which has a fine, curated wine section) just opened a wine bar in their store! :db "Uhh, honey, I forgot to pick up milk last time I was at the store. I have to run out again." :i

(And that is okay -- her response might be "Oh, do you need help carrying it? I can come with you!":r )

Interesting. I looked around in all the convenience stores in Japan and didn't see them. Maybe they are in the department stores?

Interesting. I looked around in all the convenience stores in Japan and didn't see them. Maybe they are in the department stores?

I was in Tokyo Japan Arc Towers near Shibuya. There was a connivance store on the corner. They had them there. When we went to the grocery store I also saw them there. When we went anywhere where were street venders selling food, sake was sold in single serve glasses.

I brought some home with me. I think there are a few left in my store room. I will see. If so I will post a few pics.

RR

Last edited:
Our local Hy-Vee(grocery store chain) has had them for 3-4 yrs. now. Coba, I believe, and them come in 3 or 4 "flavors".

No one has brought up the fact that it is a pretty small glass of wine!

Greg,

While looking for something else I stumbled across these pictures. These were taken on a Saturday afternoon in a park not too far from where I was staying in Tokyo. wine.jpg

wine1.jpg

There was a row of street food venders selling all kinds of goodies. The bottom pic is of octopus balls and there is saki in the single serve glass. The top pic shows them for sale in the lower right of the photo.

RR

Those are what they offer at concerts/sporting events now. I was going to get one when we went to see Jeff Dunham last month. They wanted $6 per serving and I was like NOOOOPE!

Hence, I have fitted a purse with a wine bag and spigot... I Iz Sneaky! It's completely unnoticable, I've had my bag looked into several times and it's not been noticed yet!

Those are what they offer at concerts/sporting events now. I was going to get one when we went to see Jeff Dunham last month. They wanted $6 per serving and I was like NOOOOPE!

Hence, I have fitted a purse with a wine bag and spigot... I Iz Sneaky! It's completely unnoticable, I've had my bag looked into several times and it's not been noticed yet!

You need to get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FYZZI2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back