Quantcast

Residue below cork

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

orejunky

Reaction score
So....I bottled about 18 bottles and let them be for about 2 weeks. I couldn't help myself and wanted to try my first batch. I removed the cork, which was super hard and I noticed a slight line of residue just below the cork. Now I must admit these were older corks, inherited from the trusted person I bought them from. I rinsed them off with sanitizing liquid but I'm afraid I might have contaminated corks. I still have two more carbouys aging and I will buy brand new corks for them. I have also attached a picture.

1484927099716.jpg

orejunky

Reaction score
It doesn't have an off taste....there is some cork bits in the wine, and it smells ok.

orejunky

Reaction score
I take that all back...I grabbed a pinot grigio from the liquor store and tasted it side by side....it does have an off smell and taste. Still drinkable though ;-)

Johny99

Reaction score
If the corks were wet when you put them in, I think it is water that squeezed out taking with it a bit of cork material. I soaked my corks in meta solution in the old days and bottled with them wet. It would do that and then the corks would be really hard to pull.

I said "old days". Of course, I don't soak my corks anymore:h so let's not start that thread again.

Julie

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You cannot compare your wine to one from a liquor store. I doubt very much that the acid level and sg are exactly alike. Like Johny99, I think it was probably because the corks were wet when you used them.

orejunky

Reaction score
I didn't really soak them that much, I would say rinsed them. But yeah maybe some corks soaked up more than others. I'll probably take a bottle to magnotta and have them have a taste. That's where I got the juice.

Latest posts