Residual sugar from skin packs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuziwk

Reaction score
Generally when I make a kit with skins, I have started a new process which involves firmly pressing the skins twice a day with a thick metal spoon than submerging them with a trimmed plastic spoon and to covering to keep them submerged. Basically the spoon is pinned between the bottom of the bucket and the lid of the primary which than holds the skins down at all times. After about a week when fermentation is mostly complete I close up the buckets and let them sit for another week with the skins fully submerged. After everything is done, I put on sanitized disposable gloves and squeeze/twist the crap out of the skin pack and sort of knead it for about 5 minutes until I get everything out. This being the case, is there a possibility that there is still sugar in the skin packs that I'm putting back into the wine when heavily squeezing the skins? Or would the yeast also have completed their job on the skin pack?

At any rate after pressing I degass and add Sulphites. I'm just curious as I always prefer a more dry wine and I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on something.

the grape skins are to provide tannin support I would think any sugar content would be gone in the first two or three days of fermentation. If you want to check it take hydrometer reading before and after any pressing.

the grape skins are to provide tannin support I would think any sugar content would be gone in the first two or three days of fermentation. If you want to check it take hydrometer reading before and after any pressing.
Hmm good call, I'll check on the weekend when I'm ready to open them both up.

Latest posts

Back