Research into home winemaking - TIME TO TAKE THE SURVEY

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDRUM

Vinthropologist
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am an anthropologist based at the University of Adelaide, Australia, who studies wine production and consumption. My research to date has mostly been to do with commercial wine, but as a home winemaker myself (and a member of this forum for a few years) I want to extend research into home and amateur winemaking, because this is an area that is often ignored! In particular, I am interested in the way knowledge, techniques, cultures and practices of winemaking are communicated and shared.

Please let me know by replying here (or by private message) if you are likely to be interested in participating in this research and answering some questions about your own winemaking. I want to hear from a range of winemakers from different places, with different perspectives and different levels of experience and expertise, from first-timers to serious hobbyists with their own vineyards.

The data collection will take the form of online surveying, and this may be followed up by more detailed questions via private message or email. All your responses will be anonymous: I will not collect or divulge any information that might identify you personally.

Thanks in advance!

Bill Skinner – william.skinner*at*adelaide.edu.au

I believe we did this before in the past only with a woman at the time. And know responses were ever given, from the receiver.

I believe we did this before in the past only with a woman at the time. And know responses were ever given, from the receiver.
That's disappointing - my aim is to share findings with the group as soon as I can. Once I have the online survey up and running I will link to it from the forum!

I didn't say I won't, I only know what was done in the past.
Usually when someone wants data there going to publish it in some format some where.
If I wanted to write an E/Book I could do it myself.
If you wanted advice there's threads of it daily.
Something isn't correct here ,not for me.
And that's why we didn't do this last time

Last edited:
Hi Redrum, My background is in medical sociology so I would be interested in learning more about your project and would consider participating - but surveys (in my opinion) are often a very poor way to obtain good data. What you have on this and similar forums are tens of thousands of (public) posts that are raw data for at least some of your questions: what people say they do and what they in fact do may be very different and how people make sense of questions the social scientist asks is itself a topic of research and is not something transparent.

In particular, I am interested in the way knowledge, techniques, cultures and practices of winemaking are communicated and shared.

The data collection will take the form of online surveying,

It's one thing to collect that information here but is this the sole methodology? Seems there would be a lot of shoe leather involved in getting to what seems to be a very large number of people that don't use this, or any, forum. People that stick around here are generally not the average hobbyist but those trying to perfect their craft more.

BenardSmith, makes all the sense in the world.
Any of you who were crossed over from the old thread knowes I always put out info and photos on how to.
We all answered questions day after day ..

Id10t, your correct in your thinking at least I think so .
There's enough raw data throughout this forum to glean first then ask your questions.

Latest posts

Back