Resanitize Bottles ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakervinyard

Reaction score
I planned on bottling a couple batches of wine over the weekend and sanitized my bottles last Thursday night. Well life got in the way and I didn't bottle my wine. I sanitized them and then put them on the bottle tree, I didn't rinse them. Do I need to resanitize them or can I go ahead and bottle tomorrow ? Thanks, Bakervinyard

For me, if it wasn't sanitized recently (say in the last HOUR), I do it again.

Steve

Since bottle sanitizing for me is just spritzing from a spray bottle I would sanitize again even if just a day had passed.

I would have guessed that a few hours would be okay but Steve's post, above, has me thinking maybe not.

Since bottle sanitizing for me is just spritzing from a spray bottle I would sanitize again even if just a day had passed.

I would have guessed that a few hours would be okay but Steve's post, above, has me thinking maybe not.
Bill/bkisel:

This is probably another of those "ask 10 winemakers, get 15 different responses" kind of things. The gentleman who taught me to make wine said to sanitize immediately before use. Not a few hours before, and definitely not days before. It's a habit that I've stuck with.

A few years ago, there was a discussion on one of the forums about "best practices", and that we all should be encouraging "best practices". In this case, the "best practice" is to sanitize immediately before use. Do not allow the equipment (bottles, hoses, whatever) to have any time to become un-sanitized.

Steve

Bill/bkisel:

This is probably another of those "ask 10 winemakers, get 15 different responses" kind of things. The gentleman who taught me to make wine said to sanitize immediately before use. Not a few hours before, and definitely not days before. It's a habit that I've stuck with.

A few years ago, there was a discussion on one of the forums about "best practices", and that we all should be encouraging "best practices". In this case, the "best practice" is to sanitize immediately before use. Do not allow the equipment (bottles, hoses, whatever) to have any time to become un-sanitized.

Steve

I'm all for following best practices. I do sanitize "just before" so that part is not an issue for me. Now I'm thinking that the sanitizing I've been doing after cleaning equipment that is being put away is a waste of time and sanitizing solution. Just clean, put away then clean and sanitize before reuse.

Thanx...

I'm all for following best practices. I do sanitize "just before" so that part is not an issue for me. Now I'm thinking that the sanitizing I've been doing after cleaning equipment that is being put away is a waste of time and sanitizing solution. Just clean, put away then clean and sanitize before reuse.

Thanx...

I clean equipment after use, and sanitize before use. I don't clean again before use unless the equipment has been sitting around for a while gathering dust or whatever. For example, I haven't actually made anything in a few months, so I'll give everything a quick cleaning before using it.

Bottles get rinsed and drained after being emptied. I clean them a couple of days before re-filling, then sanitize when I'm ready to bottle.

Steve

Thanks Guys, That's what I thought just needed confirmation I guess. I should have followed my gut. Bakervinyard

I clean the bottles with on O2 based cleaner, I store them upside down in closed cases for maybe months. When its time to bottle I spritz with a plant mister bottle of k-meta solution and fill them within 1-2 hours.

Latest posts

Back