Replicating Oak Barrel Program with Oak Cubes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim3

Reaction score
If anyone out there was like me and wanted to understand how to convert a barrel program into an oak cube dosage, I created a tool which might be helpful. The trick is understanding how both barrels and cubes give off their phenolics over time. Below is the graph for barrels. Anyway, there was a lot of math to figure this out so I won't belabor the point, but I've attached the conversion which might be helpful for you. All you need to do is fill out the areas highlighted in yellow and the output in oak cubes per gallon of wine is provided.

1616260726093.png

1616261868784.png

They won't let me attach excel files but if you're interested send me a message and I can send it to you.

Embedded below are some of the most common routines practiced by winemakers.
1616262931866.png

1616262995840.png

1616263047258.png

Or if you can only age your wine for 6 months using oak cubes, you'll need to increase your dosage accordingly (see below).

1616263358957.png

1616263223502.png

1616263264624.png

How does any oak adjunct mimic the micro oxidation effects of a barrel, which are probably even more important than the oak flavors?
So short answer, they don’t! Barrels are irreplaceable for so many reasons. However, if you’re like me and live in a place with only 30% humidity and average temps of 82 in the house during summer, barrels aren’t an option. But if you’re just looking to replicate the oak phenolics of commercial barrel programs, that was the purpose of building that model.

If you are eager to attach the file, you can zip it first. The forum accepts *.zip files.
Good call! Here goes. Let me know if this doesn't work.

Attachments

• Oak Cube to Barrel Replica.zip
    29.4 KB · Views: 39
Thanks RT. I feel like I’ve spent countless hours wondering if I over or under oaked my wine, and felt like there was no way I was alone with that anxiety. It’s always nice to have a plan and I’m happy to share.

Latest posts

Back