Replicating brewery beer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtydog420

Reaction score
I am making the leap for wine to beer.. Eventually Id like to produce a beer as close a possible to Shipyard brewery's Old Thumper (Portland, Maine), which is a recipe from Ringwood Brewery in Hampshire, England...

Im just curious how close others got to their favorite beer...

I still haven't made a batch yet cause my apartment it a bit too warm to start in middle of summer..

You can get very close to a lot of beers using clone kits or getting the recipe and doing all grain. I have had some come really close and some were better then and some were almost as good as. My wheat beers exceed the commercial ones IMO but some of the others just come close enough for me. There are many brews that I make that are just my own though and not following any recipe.

agreed. you can most definitely replicate all styles of commercial beer, from the nano/micro/craft brews, to Bud Light (gag).

some are easier than others, but all are within the home brewer's reach. Lagers will be the most expensive/difficult due to their cooler fermentation requirements, and cold aging.

:b I make clones all the time. But, I tweek it to my taste.
I recently made a Pilsner Urquell and my version of Yuengling. :b

Brewerys make beer for profit. Homebrewers make beer for taste. I tried to make a Red Brick Double Chocolate Porter clone one time and mine blew theirs away. Now I just use commercial examples as a guideline.

Thinking of doing a 10 gal batch Thursday.. Not sure what I will make.
I just received 5#'s of hops so that is taken care of and have about 100#'s of grain.. Decisions.. decisions...

well.... get to it... :)

U are only postponing the drinking part.... :dg:dg

Empty is fine by me :) i'll make sure to make something to fill it up!
im so itching to make something, but my basement is in renovation and its loaded with drywall dust and junk and upstairs lately been over 100 degree's so i'll wait

Brewerys make beer for profit. Homebrewers make beer for taste. I tried to make a Red Brick Double Chocolate Porter clone one time and mine blew theirs away. Now I just use commercial examples as a guideline.

Right on! To begin with, why would anybody want to replicate large brewery beer? Most any all grain home brew will be better anyway. I think a person needs to get serious about making beer and then when he/she does he/she won't be trying to imitate large breweries. For those who don't want to put in the work, to them goes the homebrew cans of malt.

Right on! To begin with, why would anybody want to replicate large brewery beer? Most any all grain home brew will be better anyway. I think a person needs to get serious about making beer and then when he/she does he/she won't be trying to imitate large breweries. For those who don't want to put in the work, to them goes the homebrew cans of malt.

I don't drink much beer, hubby does. And he wants corona! LOL! A good beer is one I like, I don't care about replication. I'd rather experiment, but I'm gonna try for hubby so he'll leave my wine alone!

I saw a corona recipe somewhere. It was either Brewers Best or my Local HBS, Home Brew USA in Norfolk, VA. I'll check with them tomorrow and let you know.

Latest posts

Back