Replicating a 100 point wine...this season’s plan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today was the last harvest to replicate the 100 point Cab Franc blend. Last on the list of four varieties was the Cab Franc itself. This is late in the season for this grape and the numbers showed it; 26.7 brix 4.06 pH. There was very little dehydration, so I was a bit surprised it was that high, but I’m not going to water it back. The Merlot and Cab Sauv were a little low on the brix scale and the Avante yeast will eat through 26.7 / 16%+ abv no problem.

I pulled out 17% of the juice (sold it to someone making rose) and put one pound of tartaric into the must in order to help us with the pH problem. Hopefully I can have a nice, controlled ferment and get all these wines in the barrel to age.
A66CA199-82E4-49F8-9E1D-EC0AD2B84C1C.jpeg 06CDC997-8BBF-4621-B042-0805282DB139.jpeg

Looks a little like Tuscany in that last pic! Beautiful Cab Franc. Did I miss why the CF was allowed to hang till it hit this high of brix and pH? Why not pick a week earlier lower brix, lower pH?

One of the real benefits of harvesting late this year has been the colder weather, which has really served to have a cooler and longer fermentation. Normally I have a peak temp of 85-90 degrees and fermentation has completed within 5-6 days. If I harvested on a Saturday, I am pressing the next Saturday.

We are on day 8 since crushing the grapes. Two nights ago, the must temp was 75 degrees at 8 brix, last night was at 4.5 brix at 70 degrees. I'm hoping for a nice gradual drop to zero and that the must will hang in there until Saturday.

ferm temp.jpg

The harvest season is officially over. The cab franc ferment was one of the best. I pulled 13 gallons of juice out of the 900 pound crush and the ferment was long and slow. I separated the free run vs the press and used a higher % of the free run in the 100 point blend. The Cab Franc, Merlot, Cab Sauv and the Petit Verdot are now in the barrel and being treated to CH16 mlb. I’ll rack in 3 months or so when mlf has completed, I’ll add some French oak spirals and hopefully the wine will turn out as good as I am hoping.

96A33A1C-F624-4A1C-8C0E-EA06593CBE38.jpeg

Question - what type of pump is that? I am in need of one badly. Does it work well pumping from fermenting bins to barrel/demijohn etc.?

The harvest season is officially over. The cab franc ferment was one of the best. I pulled 13 gallons of juice out of the 900 pound crush and the ferment was long and slow. I separated the free run vs the press and used a higher % of the free run in the 100 point blend. The Cab Franc, Merlot, Cab Sauv and the Petit Verdot are now in the barrel and being treated to CH16 mlb. I’ll rack in 3 months or so when mlf has completed, I’ll add some French oak spirals and hopefully the wine will turn out as good as I am hoping.

View attachment 56865

Am I reading this correctly, 13 gallons out of 900 lbs? Seems really low.

I’ve struggled with what to make this season. I need to tap the brakes on the volume of wine I make this year, which I’m sticking to. I just finished bottling a 2018 barrel of Cabernet Franc and a barrel of 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon that was loaded with Cab Franc, Petite Sirah and Petit Verdot to the point where it was only 66% Cab Sauv.

The second one, which I call the Bordeaux Blend, is now my second favorite wine I’ve ever made. It really stands out in its nose, dark flavors and now softening tannins. So, I’ve decided to do another blend this year.

The wine I’m doing is to replicate (simulate?) the blend of a 100 point wine.

2012 Verite le Desir, 100 point wine (Robert Parker).

Le Désir—predominantly Cabernet Franc supported by Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot — shows layers of concentrated fruit, exotic spice, opulent aromatics and a plush suede texture.

Cab Franc 64%. 39 gallons
Merlo 24%. 14 gallons
Cab Sav 8%. 4.5 gallons
Petite Verdot 4%. 2.5 gallons

View attachment 56196
Really interesting blend proportions. PV and Merlot are about what I'd expect but the CF and CS are very different.

Norcal, I get your concept but as I'm sure you know replicating those percentages isn't necessarily going to replicate the same wine. My 2018 Meritage I just bottled is fairly equals portions of CS, Merlot and PV with smaller percentages of Malbec, Carmenere and Cab Franc and I think one of my best 3 wines to date.
I will be having your Meritage tonight, Fred! Looking forward to it.

Question - what type of pump is that? I am in need of one badly. Does it work well pumping from fermenting bins to barrel/demijohn etc.?
It is a surflo pump, works great on pressed/settled juice and finish wine. Less than $100, plenty fast for the volumes I'm doing.

Last edited:
Am I reading this correctly, 13 gallons out of 900 lbs? Seems really low.

I pulled 13 gallons of juice out (Saignee) to increase the juice to skin contact.

Out of the 900 pounds of Cab Franc I yielded:

13 gallons of rose juice (sold)
1 gallon of juice to make jelly
32 gallons of free run into barrel
5 gallon pressed into the barrel
7.5 additional free run gallons
8 additional gallons of pressed

Grand total of: 66.5

The yield is higher than I would normally get by 10%. I didn't weigh the bin, so I suspect it may have been heavier than the 900 pounds (I only requested 800).

Really interesting blend proportions. PV and Merlot are about what I'd expect but the CF and CS are very different.
Yea, that is what caught my eye. In the Sierra Foothills, where I live, the Cab Franc does really well, the Cab Sauv not so good. I have made a straight Cab Franc (with a little Petite Sirah and/or Petit Verdot) for 5 out of the last 6 years, so I wanted to do something different.

Back