Replacement press plates

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulie vino

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking to replace my press plates fory basket press. I'm having trouble finding them online, can anyone point me in the right direction? My second resort is to fabricate my own. Would white oak be the best material? Also, any suggestions on how to make them? One solid piece for each half moon, or can I use 2 or 3 smaller pieces fastened together? I assume the plates are under a significant amount of pressure so I'm not sure if the press plate can be made from a few smaller pieces of wood. Mine appear to be solid pieces but they are in bad shape. I don't have any pictures or I would post them. Thanks in advance

They would be very easy to replicate for any woodworker. They could be fashioned from smaller pieces fastened together in two layers running perpendicular to each other.

I think Oak is traditional but maple would make good plates as well.

That seems like a good idea. I'm not a very experienced wood worker but I should have enough of the tools to join some pieces together. What about thickness? 1.5 to 2 inches thick should be strong enough to stand up to the pressure of the press? I was thinking of using either 3/4 inch or 1 inch planks to fasten together in 2 perpendicular layers like you said.

That seems like a good idea. I'm not a very experienced wood worker but I should have enough of the tools to join some pieces together. What about thickness? 1.5 to 2 inches thick should be strong enough to stand up to the pressure of the press? I was thinking of using either 3/4 inch or 1 inch planks to fasten together in 2 perpendicular layers like you said.
I think that should be sufficient.

Thickness is important. But using two or more pieces per plate might not be the best idea depending on how the pieces are joined. Woodworking glue, in this case the recommendation is Titebond III, isn't known for having good shear strength. If the platen doesn't cover the seam the pressure could easily be enough to break the bond.

It might be a good idea to consider using dowels or biscuits to join the pieces. If using two inch (true eight quarter stock) two or more 3/4" or 1" dowels would counteract the pressure.

Thickness is important. But using two or more pieces per plate might not be the best idea depending on how the pieces are joined. Woodworking glue, in this case the recommendation is Titebond III, isn't known for having good shear strength. If the platen doesn't cover the seam the pressure could easily be enough to break the bond.

It might be a good idea to consider using dowels or biscuits to join the pieces. If using two inch (true eight quarter stock) two or more 3/4" or 1" dowels would counteract the pressure.
I wouldn’t recommend edge glueing at all. unless you have stock that’s at least 1-1/2” thick and even then I would use splines. I was thinking 3/4” to 1” pieces not even glued together. Just two layers running perpendicular to each other and screwed together.

My press plates are home fabricated, I am trying to increase juice loss from all surfaces.
The current version is polyethylene (formerly a cutting board) with 1/4 holes in it. The next layer is a circle cut out of expanded plastic (formerly from a pizza delivery box) and then the rigid wood blocks which can be placed at 90 degree angles.
The bottom also gets a perforated plate set up.

My press plates are home fabricated, I am trying to increase juice loss from all surfaces.
The current version is polyethylene (formerly a cutting board) with 1/4 holes in it. The next layer is a circle cut out of expanded plastic (formerly from a pizza delivery box) and then the rigid wood blocks which can be placed at 90 degree angles.
I like that idea 👍

Thanks for the ideas so far. I'd like to do this without spending a ton of money and as I have no scrap white oak laying around I will be buying it all for this project. With that said, the dimensions of each half moon plate is approximately 7 1/4 inches wide by 14 1/2 inches long, so boards of that width in 8/4 thickness are kind of pricey. That's why I liked the idea of glueing boards but given the advice so far that may not be ideal. The best would be to get 2 pieces of 8/4 white oak that are 8 inches wide and shape it from there but something that wide and thick is expensive. I'm thinking the best option now is sing two 4/4 pieces that are 8 inches wide in perpendicular layers to make a final product that will be thick enough.

I'm intrigued by the plastic cutting board idea. Do you have any pictures of that? How thick is that?

Hi all, I'm looking to replace my press plates fory basket press. I'm having trouble finding them online, can anyone point me in the right direction? My second resort is to fabricate my own. Would white oak be the best material? Also, any suggestions on how to make them? One solid piece for each half moon, or can I use 2 or 3 smaller pieces fastened together? I assume the plates are under a significant amount of pressure so I'm not sure if the press plate can be made from a few smaller pieces of wood. Mine appear to be solid pieces but they are in bad shape. I don't have any pictures or I would post them. Thanks in advance
Check ginopinto.com, I'm looking at their 2022 pdf catalog I downloaded from their website and on page 102 are wood half moon press plates.

How big is the press? I just picked up a little one (10”) used and it has two half-circle shaped 4/4 boards and a bunch of blocks that you stack on them to increase the press depth.

If you really need the strength I made
A Quick “detailed drawing” off the top of my head that should work. If you are using all 4/4 boards arrange them as in the top picture. If using a cutting board fasten it to three thinner boards as shown, drill holes in the “open” spaces, then add the top board. The press screw contacts the top rectangular board in the center.
image.jpg

ETA. I see I forgot the hole in the center of the half circles.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas so far. I'd like to do this without spending a ton of money and as I have no scrap white oak laying around I will be buying it all for this project. With that said, the dimensions of each half moon plate is approximately 7 1/4 inches wide by 14 1/2 inches long, so boards of that width in 8/4 thickness are kind of pricey. That's why I liked the idea of glueing boards but given the advice so far that may not be ideal. The best would be to get 2 pieces of 8/4 white oak that are 8 inches wide and shape it from there but something that wide and thick is expensive. I'm thinking the best option now is sing two 4/4 pieces that are 8 inches wide in perpendicular layers to make a final product that will be thick enough.

I'm intrigued by the plastic cutting board idea. Do you have any pictures of that? How thick is that?
* I really don’t care if food contact grade material is above the level where the liquid goes, as such I could see using a laminate/ glue on upper blocks. I could see carbon fiber on upper blocks, or black locust, or red oak, etc > strength, , titanium if you find it!
* do you have access to old pallets? about 10% are oak, look on Craigslist
* do you have access to blocks/ chocks used in shipping, there are a variety of sizes as 1.5 x 1.5 by length, 3 x 3 by length etc. most of these are oak, some will be 18” long and some are 10’.
* my traditional press (old) has a screw through a top casting (can take a solid round). The original plates were not all oak
* photos/ ideas ? if you look through old posts lots of us have put up pictures
* photo? ,,, heres the old collection tray (new is stainless, plywood, 3x3 oak, plastic)
C89A7D8C-D1AD-4CB9-8657-E4E3EA3F9E3F.jpeg
and some new press parts (I am industry so don’t like wood food contact)
@Cap Puncher always like a photo

I have several SS pots (baskets) but the biggest so far is a ten inch.
View attachment 81814
I will put a plate with holes under the basket/ cake, or a plastic mesh (circle cut out of a polyethylene cutting board/ mesh that came with a pizza delivery box.) PE would prevent scratches.
I also have several sizes of PVC pipe with holes drilled on the side that I have used as press baskets. My next change will be to figure out a way to hinge or pin the PVC to break the cake out.
Not asked, but I put acrylic rounds on top of the cake and under the wood blocks, it seems easier to clean than wood.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. My press is the the "No. 104" in this picture. it's a 17 inch tub which is approximately 43 cm. These picture are from when first got. I've since replaces some of the staves with white oak and painted the rusted legs. Once I'm all done I'll post some more photos.

That gino Pinot link was a great find, thanks for that. I think buying from them would be the most economical and easier than trying to source wood in widths of 8 inches. Also trying to have this ready for the fall season so time is a consideration.
Thanks for the drawings, ChuckD, they were helpful. Thanks rice guy for the cutting board idea that is a good idea too.

Attachments

• 1920-catalog-giunta-bros-mfg-co-phila_1_823dd43f5e3cc68c64151a211df0e5c0.jpg
    1920-catalog-giunta-bros-mfg-co-phila_1_823dd43f5e3cc68c64151a211df0e5c0.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20210922_204259333.jpg
    PXL_20210922_204259333.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 1920-catalog-giunta-bros-mfg-co-phila_1_823dd43f5e3cc68c64151a211df0e5c0.jpg
    1920-catalog-giunta-bros-mfg-co-phila_1_823dd43f5e3cc68c64151a211df0e5c0.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20210922_204310233.jpg
    PXL_20210922_204310233.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20210922_204306450.jpg
    PXL_20210922_204306450.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20210922_204259333.jpg
    PXL_20210922_204259333.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Thanks for all the replies. My press is the the "No. 104" in this picture. it's a 17 inch tub which is approximately 43 cm. These picture are from when first got. I've since replaces some of the staves with white oak and painted the rusted legs. Once I'm all done I'll post some more photos.

That gino Pinot link was a great find, thanks for that. I think buying from them would be the most economical and easier than trying to source wood in widths of 8 inches.

I have recently acquired a very old press of about the same size. Basket internal diameter is about 39 cm (15 in). It uses a four plate system, not a half moon system. Each plate is about 9 cm to 10 cm wide (3.5 to 4 in). About 3 cm thick each (1.2 in). I will restore it to this same four plate system. So you do not have to use a half moon if you do not want to. You can convert to a four plate system. So no need to get extra wide wood. The only thing to consider, is your base board in your stacked tree will need to be longer to overlap all four plates. But that is a trivial issue.

My large #55 press also uses a four plate system. See attached images. Hope this helps.

press_plate_1.JPGpress_plate_2.JPGpress_plate_3.JPGpress_plates_on_55.JPG

Fascinating discussion.
Can you please post photos of these boards.

Anything that we can do to get maximum out of the press sounds like a good idea.

Anything that we can do to get maximum out of the press sounds like a good idea.
* Playing with several baskets/ tubes in a press, a narrower tube will express faster than a fater basket/ tube. ,,, The modern hydropress pushes outward which keeps the distance juice travels smaller.
* mixing is used on commercial presses, ie move fresh high percentage juice to the surface. It also helps with my home press but you need to decide if it is worth your time
* more pressure, gut feeling without any engineering data is that distance is more important, after all pressure divides into pounds per square inch which is a function of radius squared.
* channels as from mixing in rice hulls ,,, or an apple cider press has plate > press bag > plate > press bag > plate > press bag > etc . The liquid travel distance becomes smaller as liquid is removed. Have wanted to test perforated plates & nylon fabric in a basket press but haven’t fabricated this yet.
* constant pressure as push with a pneumatic cylinder (what I do pumping up the force every 15 minutes wastes time)

I got a 8/4 piece of rough ash (ash is usually cheaper)from a local hardwood lumber place. It think mine was was 17 in wide and 6 ft long. $30-35. Do you have a bandsaw? You probably need a bandsaw to make good cuts for half moons. Others might work though. When creating them for a customized stainless basket, I chose to use half moons and stainless steel polished dock cleats. Definitely do able. It was the 1st time using a bandsaw for an extensive project. I’m not a woodworker by any means.841F6C09-7F07-445D-AC08-5C8971822413.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick update. I called gino pinto and they don't have the half moons in stock. I'm waiting for a call back to see if they will order them for me.

Balatonwine, thanks for those pictures. I think I may do something similar to that since finding wide boards is proving to be expensive.

Cap puncher, that's a good idea too. Does ash need to be sealed? I know you sealed your because I've seen that thread before. Id rather not seal it since the cost of ez-do just adds to the expense ($40 for one point), but it's an option.

I've attached some pictures of my press plates. They are a little different from the others I've seen as they have a wooden piece attached to one half moon and when placed in the press, it spans across both pieces. I like this feature and may keep this aspect of the design in my new plates. I'm thinking if I do a 4 plate system as Balatonwine has, I can use a piece of wood to fasten the 2 boards side by side to make up one half moon.

Lots to consider...

Attachments

• PXL_20220807_162748162.jpg
    PXL_20220807_162748162.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220807_162806417.jpg
    PXL_20220807_162806417.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back