Replacement drum tap?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJOl

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,
I need to replace a leaking tap I have on my blue plastic must barrel. It’s a Waddington & Duval drum tap that is no longer available. Any suggestions for a good quality food safe tap or faucet/spigot I can replace it with. I use the tap to drain juice out of the barrel before pressing,
Thanks!
Mike

* does your hardware store have nylon fittings? Combined with a neoprene washer it is water tight. ,, my fruit press collection bucket has a vinyl tube that I hold above juice level instead of a valve, to empty i lower the tube.
* CPVC is food grade and there are a number of hex fittings. You can again seal with a neoprene or cut a gasket out of silicone sheet. I have taken fittings and cut the extension off to make a smooth/ 1/4 inch inside. CPVC also is used to make 1/2 inch ball valves that are easier to clean.
* Granger has bulkhead fittings/ valves in stainless steel. Dairy supply companies also will stock stainless fittings. Beer supply folks have stainless fittings.
07969083-3DC8-4EAA-8F30-26B07EEAF5F9.jpeg
* stay away from brass, galvanized, steel pipe fittings. The metals react with pH 3.5 liquids

Last edited:
True value hardware should have safe plastic drum taps. Or maybe even farm supply.

As a last resort the gray pvc electrical conduit has nice aggressive threads that tighten very well. Combined with a neoprene washer and a new valve might Do the trick. I’ve used the gray threaded fittings on koi ponds for 40 years now. No leaks.
only issue is I’m not sure the grade of pvc is food safe.

True value hardware should have safe plastic drum taps. Or maybe even farm supply.

As a last resort the gray pvc electrical conduit has nice aggressive threads that tighten very well. Combined with a neoprene washer and a new valve might Do the trick. I’ve used the gray threaded fittings on koi ponds for 40 years now. No leaks.
only issue is I’m not sure the grade of pvc is food safe.
Thank you!

* does your hardware store have nylon fittings? Combined with a neoprene washer it is water tight. ,, my fruit press collection bucket has a vinyl tube that I hold above juice level instead of a valve, to empty i lower the tube.
* CPVC is food grade and there are a number of hex fittings. You can again seal with a neoprene or cut a gasket out of silicone sheet. I have taken fittings and cut the extension off to make a smooth/ 1/4 inch inside. CPVC also is used to make 1/2 inch ball valves that are easier to clean.
* Granger has bulkhead fittings/ valves in stainless steel. Dairy supply companies also will stock stainless fittings. Beer supply folks have stainless fittings.
View attachment 87906
* stay away from brass, galvanized, steel pipe fittings. The metals react with pH 3.5 liquids
Thank you!
I’m pretty sure I can find those white nylon fittings. I was wondering how to add a faucet or spigot but your photo helped. It looks like I could just add a hose to the barbed end of the fitting and clamp it. I was hoping for more of a spigot, though.

Back