Repairing damaged Maréchal Foch.....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmanto

Reaction score
Repairing damaged Maréchal Foch.....I replanted neglected Foch vines last year in my NJ garden.. but it did not produce grapes.

What can I do to maximum potential to produce grapes this spring/summer?

If you moved the vines last year they should be treated as newly planted vines so this would be their second year. It takes a while to get the roots to regrow enough to support the vines and crop. Prune them back depending on how big the vines were when moved and don't try to take a crop or at least not much yet. It is too soon. If you post a picture of the vine now and maybe before the move we can help tell you how to prune it this year.

Should I start pruning back or let vine grow to strengthen roots?

If you were treating this transplant as a 2nd year vine, then you should be working to train one or two good trunks out of all that green vegetation. Looking at the pic though, I think the best course of action might be to leave it and let it be a bush for the rest of this year. I don't see strong shoots that look like good trunk candidates, and I am concerned about removing a lot of green at this point in the growing season.

As for the recipe, I would wait a year or two. When your foch is established, it will go crazy producing laterals that will shade your fruit. Snip those off and use their leaves for your dish.

H

Hello.. its Autumn time here in NJ.. should I cut back my Maréchal Foch..or just let it be and prune in Spring ?

Thank you.. I have so grown some vines from cuttings... do I need to care for these very small / young vines?

Since it near Winter here in NJ...should I cover my Vines roots with dead leaves to protect all my plant from long cold winter?

Back