Removing wine stains from carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Chuck E

Reaction score
I use Oxy-Clean Free too. For really tough stains, I add a couple ounces of stainless BB's.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased used 25 and 54 liter demijohns, both of which had ugly red wine stains in and below the neck. OneStep removed a lot of it, but not all. I soaked overnight in Oxiclean (3 scoops in the 54 liter demijohn) and that removed more, but still not all.

My final solution was to add a gallon of OneStep, swirl it, and use a drill-mounted carboy cleaning brush. Use the brush for 20 seconds, swirl the OneStep, let set a minute. Repeated 4 or 5 times until it was clean.

carboy brush.jpg

The moral of the story? Clean your equipment as soon as possible! [Which doesn't help when buying used equipment.]

Last edited:

WinoDon

Junior
Reaction score
I have acquired some used 3-gallon carboys, and one of them has some red residue/stains from grape wine. I have read here that many use oxiclean to remove organic residue. Is this the one that you use? OxiClean White Revive Powder 5 lbs. Fabric Stain Remover-51652 - The Home Depot If so, how much would you use?
For years I have used denture cleaner tablets with success to remove wine stains from bottles. One tablet per bottle but you likely would need more for the carboys.