Removing labels from bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used this to clean buned cooking pans. Make a paste of ketchup, salt, vinegar and baking soda, allow it to sit a couple hours. It might work on these bottles you alll are talking about.

I remove most of the label that will come off after soaking in hot water. Then the left over glue I spray with Goo-Gone and wipe off. Then I wash the bottles so there isnt any residue left.

what about those dam ol' plastic lables that Hazzlit (Red Cat) uses? those things give me the blues! and its all my friends drink, so i'm stuck with using acetone to get the glue off:( any other suggestions guys?

I remove most of the label that will come off after soaking in hot water. Then the left over glue I spray with Goo-Gone and wipe off. Then I wash the bottles so there isnt any residue left.

Being from NY I know what you mean by a Red Cat label. I just did a couple of them last week. I soak them in hot water for an hour then pick at a corner to peel off the label. Then I use Goo-Gone to clean off the glue residue. I havn't tried it yet but I bet a hair drier or heat gun would loosen the label enough to peel it off.

Being from NY I know what you mean by a Red Cat label. I just did a couple of them last week. I soak them in hot water for an hour then pick at a corner to peel off the label. Then I use Goo-Gone to clean off the glue residue. I havn't tried it yet but I bet a hair drier or heat gun would loosen the label enough to peel it off.
i HATE them dam Red Cat lables!!! i'll try the Goo Gone next time.

Thanks for all of the suggestions for removing labels. Today I put some bottles in a solution of hot water, Oxy Clean, and vinegar. After a little while most of the labels came off real clean. But, I had a couple of bottles from one winery which the label came off find but not the glue. I tried the suggestion about the peanut butter - I spread the peanut butter on the glue and left it on for about 2 hours. I washed it off with hot water and soap and everything came off clean. Thanks Alot!!
Russ

On another forum one member uses a bench grinder with the steel brush, says it's quick but makes a mess. I liked the peanut butter...a good way to get rid of salmonella.

hello. it`s my first topic

Is such a topic was not previously on the forum?

Peanut butter, wow now who thought that up?
Most of my bottles labels come off easily except the Australian wines, they need soaking then attacking with a razor and then cleaned off with a product here called De-solvit which is kind of like a eucalptus oil.

I plan on making sure my own labels are not stuck that hard so it makes my job easier when its that time again!

Thanks for the tips.

Back