Removing copper

Discussion in 'Forum Comments, Suggestions & Help' started by Cheryl, Aug 10, 2018.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Aug 10, 2018 #1

Cheryl

Cheryl

Cheryl

Junior

Ok, I used copper tubing to remove the Sulfer smell from my skeeter pee.....It has finally fermented down to dry. On my last question, someone was concerned with high concentrations of copper leaching into wine. Is there a concern or should I continue. The copper was in and out of the wine for no longer than a total of 26 hours

2. Aug 10, 2018 #2

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member Supporting Member

You should be concerned, 26 hours is a long time for a piece of copper in an acidic solution. There are products (Reduless for one) that administer appropriate doses to remove H2S without OD’ing on copper.

3. Aug 10, 2018 #3

Cheryl

Cheryl

Cheryl

Junior

Ok, so how do I get it out?

4. Aug 10, 2018 #4

GreenEnvy22

GreenEnvy22

GreenEnvy22

I'd suggest you send a sample of your wine to a lab to find out how much copper is in it. Then you'll know if you're in trouble or not.
    Some universities offer this service, otherwise there are wine labs you can send to online.

5. Aug 10, 2018 #5

Cheryl

Cheryl

Cheryl

Junior

Thank you, I might just dump it

6. Aug 11, 2018 #6

NorCal

NorCal

NorCal

Super Moderator Super Moderator

Dump it

7. Aug 12, 2018 #7

Shayne Edwards

Shayne Edwards

Shayne Edwards

Hi Cheryl, Glad to see you went chasing advice, I did my reading because 2 batches of Citrus wine produced Hydrogen Sulphide smells. My understanding of what I read is if you are uncertain of H2S being present then draw off a sample and drop in a small piece of copper. Shake it up and check next day, if off smell has diminished then do bench testing with copper sulphide to determine correct dosage amounts, add to wine then treat with betonaise ? Clay thingy. I got as far as doing the rough test and then backed off because of the chance of copper poisoning.
    Reading the thread here lead me to the Reduless product which looks good and I will order some in the hope of saving a third batch.

Cheryl likes this.
  8. Aug 12, 2018 #8

Cheryl

Cheryl

Cheryl

Junior

Already used copper pipe....it did a great job of getting rid of Sulfer smell, the question now is have I created a toxic cess pool. I can add bentonite, I can filter thru whole house filter or even britta. Don't want to kill anyone with copper overload.

9. Aug 13, 2018 #9

Shayne Edwards

Shayne Edwards

Shayne Edwards

In all honesty Cheryl, I think you were given really good advice around dumping it and starting over. There are some informative videos on you tube around removing Hydrogen Sulphide from wine, some go into more depth than the others, what I took away from it was it can be dangerous without strict controls around the process.
    By using the copper pipe as the main treatment it would seem to me that without lab testing you have no way of knowing what level of copper in solution you have even after using bentonite and therefore risk poisoning someone.
    It might be better to follow the advice and dump it, just to be safe. The real trick then will be work out how to make the skeeter pee without stressing the wee yeasties so much. I’m going to have another go in around two months time and hopefully this time mine works out too.

10. Aug 13, 2018 #10

Cheryl

Cheryl

Cheryl

Junior

11. Aug 13, 2018 #11

Cheryl

Cheryl

Cheryl

Junior

I think next time I will use fresh yeast instead of lees, that should solve the problem. Thank for your input

12. Aug 13, 2018 #12

garymc

garymc

garymc

I've used copper tubing for that purpose. I stick it in the must, stir for about as long as it take to read this and pull it out. Like 5 seconds. I'm wondering how you came to 26 hours?

13. Aug 13, 2018 #13

NorCal

NorCal

NorCal

Super Moderator Super Moderator

If the odor goes away, you know you used enough. But how do you know if you used too much, even in 5 seconds?

The proper way is to set up bench trials with precisely measured amount of wine and then adding precisely measured copper solution. You then find the point where the smell goes away; thus the copper is precipitating out with the sulfur and and not adding more copper than necessary, which would remain in the wine.

14. Aug 14, 2018 #14

Cheryl

Cheryl

Cheryl

Junior

There was not a time listed in the info I read. I put it in for a day and then removed it. Wine has been dumped.

15. Aug 14, 2018 #15

Shayne Edwards

Shayne Edwards

Shayne Edwards

Good luck on the next batch mate, I hope one of us gets it right next time. Please keep us posted, aye?
    I finally sourced yeast energiser in Australia, so I hope adding this to the nutrient and stirring the must to add oxygen in a proper manner will get my next batch over the line with no H2S. Fingers crossed for the both of us.