Remove odors from plastic fermentors

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASR

Reaction score
Title pretty much explains it. How do you remove the odors left behind after using a plastic fermentor? Tried a few ideas from google seraches, but none seem to work. If the odors do remain, does that impact the next time it is used?

It was used for making a choclate/raspberry dessert wine (from a kit). I rinsed it out several times, left it out to air dry, but still has a residual odor.

Have you tried adding about half a measuring thing of OxyClean (or your favorite cleaner), filling with water and let set in the sun for about a day. When I have off odors and really, really stubborn stains in my plastic doing that cures many ills.
Haven't tried it yet, but it can't hurt...

Boy talk about timing. I made a batch of Beer and used one of my plastic carboys. UGH, what a smell is going on in there. I decided to dedicate the carboy to all future beer making. Now i will try the Oxy clean in the sun bit and hope it does the trick.

Boy talk about timing. I made a batch of Beer and used one of my plastic carboys. UGH, what a smell is going on in there. I decided to dedicate the carboy to all future beer making. Now i will try the Oxy clean in the sun bit and hope it does the trick.

For what it is worth, I have dedicated fermenters and carboys that I only do beer in. Not even oxyclean, sun, and time was able to remove all that smell from everything. As they say YMMV (and you may not have a wife with as picky a nose as I have, either)

For what it is worth, I have dedicated fermenters and carboys that I only do beer in. Not even oxyclean, sun, and time was able to remove all that smell from everything. As they say YMMV (and you may not have a wife with as picky a nose as I have, either)

I guess I'm lucky! My wife wouldn't smell a skunk if it let a spray go in the kitchen.:h

After you washed the primary out, try adding a cup of sodium meta solution to it and just leave it until the next fermentation.

Have you tried adding about half a measuring thing of OxyClean (or your favorite cleaner), filling with water and let set in the sun for about a day. When I have off odors and really, really stubborn stains in my plastic doing that cures many ills.
A further suggestion. Use the Oxyclean Green. It has no perfumes or other things best left out of a fermenter. I put about a quart of water in the bucket, maybe a tablespoon of Oxy, dissolve it and let it sit. Wipe the solution around the container several times and rinse thoroughly. Stains and smell are usually gone.

All my wine equipment is plastic. I use a cheap spray degreaser purchased at Family Dollar or General Dollar.
Rinse out well, spray the the inside thoroughly, put the cap on the carbo. Be sure to rotate to coat inside. Next day a little soap and water.
Use HOT HOT HOT WATER with the sink sprayer.,... slosh and rince using Hot water from sprayer.... It has worked well for me.l have two carboys I started with Sept.2017. have a Sharez going into it today.

Latest posts

Back