remembering fallen brothers...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGJEFF

Reaction score
I dedicate this rememberance day to the ones who didn't come back, but also to the ones who came back hurt or broken...thank you for your sacrifice, may war one day be a thing of the past....

"On remembrance day members of the armed forces (soldiers) are commemorated.

The other common name for this day is Armistice Day which marks the date and time when armies in general stop fighting. November 11th at 11am in 1918 (the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month) marks the end of the first world war in the UK - this date and time was made into Remembrence Day in commonwealth countries."

Remembrance day Canada

Thanks BigJeff for the post, I would like to, also, add THANK YOU to all our soldiers current and past

to me thats one group that never gets enough thanks for all they do

unlike our service men and women, no one points a gun at me when I go to work.

I could not have more respect for all of you defenders of freedom.

My god bless and keep you!

thanks

johnT.

I keep reminding myself to honor them by staying true to the beliefs they died to protect. Don't ever let anyone take your freedom away, all at once or in little pieces at a time.

"When you go home, tell them of us and say, for their tomorrow, we gave our today."

Well said BIGJEFF and Thank you again to all that are serving and have served. I know that I would have served again if given the chance.

This is a post yesterday from a veterans group I belong to:

Real Meaning in Veterans Day

While I was driving to work on Veterans Day in 1987, I heard a poem on the
radio that really moved me emotionally and provided an insight into what death in the service of your country means. (Veterans Day was not a regular holiday in the company I worked for since it did not fall on a Monday or a Friday. The upside was that the commute into DC was super easy.)

The story and poem were later published in The Washington Post. The poem read on National Public Radio's "Morning Edition," was written by a former Army nurse who permits herself to be identified only as "Dusty," It was found at the foot of the wall carrying the names of the dead and is included by Laura Palmer in her book, "Shrapnel in the Heart." The poem is so powerful that the NPR news people found it difficult to find anyone who could read it on the air and retain composure:

Hello, David *my name is Dusty.
I'm your night nurse.
I will stay with you.
I will check your vitals every 15 minutes.
I will document inevitability.

I will hang more blood.
And give you something for your pain.
I will stay with you and I will touch your face.

Yes, of course, I will write your mother and tell her you were brave.
I will write your mother and tell her how much you loved her.
I will write your mother and tell her to give your bratty kid sister a big kiss and hug.
What I will not tell her is that you were wasted.

I will stay with you and hold your hand.
I will stay with you and watch your life flow through my fingers into my soul.
I will stay with you until you stay with me.

Goodbye, David *my name is Dusty.
I am the last person you will see.
I am the last person you will touch.
I am the last person who will love you.

So long, David *my name is Dusty.
David, who will give me something for my pain?

Latest posts

Back