Released gas and do I really need to rack?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiljoy

Reaction score
This is sort of a two part question . I have a 3 gallon Pinot Noir batch bubbling away in a carboy. Unfortunately, I do not have a spare 3 gallon or 3 one gallon jugs to rack into. If I rack into my 6 gallon primary bucket, clean the carboy and transfer back, will the trapped CO2 be released thus protecting the wine from oxidation? I’ve not degassed at this point.
The batch is clearing very well and looks as though I will have only a small amount of sediment. Do I even need to rack, or can I just bottle it? I plan on fermenting to dryness. I used a can-o-concentrate to make this batch and used pectic enzyme. I do not wish to bulk age and honestly, a little bit of haze doesn’t bother me.
I understand the concepts of racking and have done it on several batches. However, this is my first time with anything over 1 gallon.

Last edited:
Kiljoy: That will be just fine. Don't leave it in the primary forever, just clean & sanitize your carboy and rack it back.

Steve

if you dont mind the haze, then its no big deal. i've bottled plenty of wine with only one or two rackings. they say it doesnt even affect the taste. i think i agree, but then, who am i to say, i'm a cider junky!

Latest posts

Back