Rehydrating Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebusify

Reaction score
I did not rehydrate my yeast before pitching it. I'm using a kit and the steps did not call for rehydrating the yeast. I have an RJS Rose kit and I followed the instructions which didn't call for rehydrating the yeast. I'm 18 hours into the fermentation and no bubbles as of yet. Got a room temp of 68 degrees using Lalvin EC-1118. Will know more tomorrow if I don't see anything but should I have rehydrating the yeast before pitching (With a kit)?

nominal instructions for a kit to keep it simple is to sprinkle yeast onto the juice. a prudent winemaker hydrate the yeast with a nutrient like go-ferm to insure the yeast is viable. for your present condition I would place it in a warmer location at least 72deg f it should start in about 48-72 hours.

Kit instructions are designed to make a good wine with a minimum of difficulty and a limited chance of error. Rehydrating yeast is preferred but not necessary and is an example of RJS's simplification. Be mindful of this later when it comes to degassing. Again, RJS and other wine kit makers make it sound easier than the reality.

I started two batches of Chilean juice a week ago. I added one lug of fresh wine grapes to each pail; One pail I sprinkled the yeast, the other pail I re-hydrated the yeast. I normally re-hydrate yeast with grapes as well as juice. I this case I was surprised that the sprinkle yeast took off quicker then the re-hydrated yeast. Both batches fermented to .999-1.000 in six days. The quickest ferment I've had in a while.

Back