Regina juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ05

Junior
Reaction score
Despite numerous phone calls / emails I can't get gravity numbers from Regina. I'm on the East Coast, so juice I've received was already fermenting.
Can someone provide me or estimate OG readings for: Sangiovese, Cab Sauvignon, Chardonnay and Riesling?

I picked up Regina buckets 3 times in September. First were in early September, not active SG 1.090. Mid September picked up 3 buckets 2 were active blended SG 1.082. Late September 3 more buckets all active SG 1.072.

As cmason1957 says they start out at 1.090, but despite being stored in cold walk-ins, they still start to ferment with wild yeast over time. Who knows in shipping when and how long they sat on shipping docks in the heat along they way.

Mine were Sangiovese, Syrah, Black Malvasia, Valdepena, Barbara

If the red Regina juice are packaged and shipped at 1.090. How do they get the juice to specifically 1.090?

They have to be dealing with different brix every year and probably every batch of grapes. Ingredients on pails list grape juice, SO2 and possibly citric acid.

They blend to get the parameters in range.

This is taken right from their site;

All of our Regina products are ready to use; the acid, pH level, color, sugar content, and varietal selection have all been carefully blended and balanced to optimum specifications and desirability by our own in-house enologists, who bring more than 70 years of experience to our products.

Thanks, so sugar might be added? And then I'm guessing that the varietals might not actually be single varietals, but blended?

I should have gone to their website myself. thanks again

I'm fine with them bumping sugar to balance. Just one less thing we need to do. And isn't the rule of thumb that as long as 75% of the juice/wine is 1 varietal it can legally be deemed a full single varietal?
I trust Regina as a legitimate outfit. Especially after reading up on how they expanded and upgraded facilities a handful of years ago. As well as making some delicious wines over the years.

They didn't say anything about adding sugar. They blend grapes with different sugar, acid, and color, etc. to achieve their specifications.

I'm fine with them bumping sugar to balance. Just one less thing we need to do. And isn't the rule of thumb that as long as 75% of the juice/wine is 1 varietal it can legally be deemed a full single varietal?
I trust Regina as a legitimate outfit. Especially after reading up on how they expanded and upgraded facilities a handful of years ago. As well as making some delicious wines over the years.

I have no issue with sugar added, if it is, either. Third year in a row getting Regina pails, no issues with them or the juice, just trying to get all the cards on the table to understand what's in there.

Does the 75% rule cover grape juice or just commercial wine? Probably no rule around juice.

My Regina Chardonnay bucket came in at 1.090 as well. Chapitalized to 1.094 and fermented to1.000. Looks and smells good so far.

Latest posts

Back