Regarding leaf and petiole analysis

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Masbustelo

Reaction score
I'm considering, or rather planning on doing a leaf/petiole analysis this year. I have no experience with this. I assume it is best done early in the season? When and how should it be done? Does it matter which lab I use? I am in Northern Illinois, border with Iowa. Any information is appreciated.

Have some of you done petiole analysis in the past, or do so with ongoing regularity? If so what were some deficiencies identified, and how did you treat for them?

Interesting.

I did not even know about this.

I read the document. At one vineyard I have soils which are quite variable. Would be hard to demarcate exactly for such analysis.

But I am a relative small fry. Only have one hectare (2.4 acres) and kind of go it by feel and observation what I need to do to help my vines. Seems this is more a technique for larger growers with a lot invested and need minute management methods to optimize harvests and income. :)

At harvest I am having Ph close to 4.0, and suspect high K levels, which in turn cause Mg deficiency signs toward the end of the year. This is my diagnosis, but a known problem with Northern Hybrids grown on fertile soils. So I'm thinking about the petiole analysis to see if I am diagnosing correctly, and what Possible treatment there might be.

Latest posts

Back