Refractometers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunt

Reaction score
Does anyone know about refractometers to test brix and Sg. They run about $60. Looking for first hand knowledge on if they are worth the money.

A refractometer is or testing sugar in fruits before fermentation. Without a proper sample and the right lighting they can sometimes be hard to read. They are not meant to be used after fermentation BUT, with the right spreadsheet you can use them. In order to use the spreadsheet you have to keep accurate records from pre-fermentation to the end.

I use the one I have to check the sugar content while fruit is still on the; tree, vine, or plant. Lets me know when the sugar content is right to pick the fruit. With out getting into to much detail, like Runningwolf says, while it is possible, it is hard to use one during fermentation. I think it is more trouble then it is worth. A good hydrometer will suit you just fine.

RR

Last edited:
My brief foray into grape winemaking kind of convinced me of the value of a refractometer. Especially when you start trying to measure sample that has grape skins in it. I plan on getting one before next Fall's harvest.

Be sure to look for one with ATC--Automation Temperature Compensation. Then you don't need to use a conversion table.

Be sure to look for one with ATC--Automation Temperature Compensation. Then you don't need to use a conversion table.

I completely agree with Turock. Although ATC refractomers are more expensive, ATC is a pretty handy feature. No calibrations needed.

I'm not sure if the one I'm looking at is an ATC model or not I'll have to check

I bought this one ATC as well for $24.5 No tax, free Prime shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003H7ILCW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Works great for checking grapes on the vine or even just after crushing. Had some really high Brix grapes that was next to impossible to check Brix using the Hydrometer. The Refractometer took all the guesswork out of the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one I'm looking at does adjust for temp. It also measures brix and SG the one on Amazon doesn't say if it measures both. I'd jump on it for that price if it does

Sweet. Didn't know that was out there. Thanks saves me enough money to get the meter and another carboy

If you have a triple scale hydrometer, it's easy to see what brix converts to what SG by just turning your hydrometer.

http://valleyvintner.com/cp-tips-links.html go to this web site there is a spread sheet that allows use of a refractometer during fermentation. I use the spreadsheet all of the time I checked it against a hydrometer when I first used it and it tracks well. it helps during fermentation as it does not require a large sample for the hydrometer jar. plus if you take measurements of temp and brix each day you can watch the progress of your fermentation very well. good education exercise.

Latest posts

Back