refractometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A refractometer is another way to measure specific gravity, much like a hydrometer. But a refractometer doesn't need to float in liquid. Generally I use it to test the SG of grapes and fruit in the field. You just squeeze the juice of a grape (for example), onto the glass on the front of the refractometer, and then close the cover. Then you hold it up to the light and look through the eyepiece, and you will see a scale, and it will indicate what your SG is. Mine uses a brix scale.

We use ours all of the time. We have a spreadsheet that allows us to continually monitor the brix/SG throughout the fermentation process. This allows for only having to use a "sanitized" item to draw up a drop or two of liquid to measure the SG/Brix.
That price is less than half of what I have seen lately. Usually they run from $50-70 for the cheaper ones.
Just be sure to calibrate it regularly using distilled H20.
Very simple and easy to use, once you have it, you will be glad you bought one.

You should be sure it has automatic temperature compensation otherwise you have to take temp into consideration from a chart that should come with the refractometer. ATC is just easier to use. The cheap models may not have it.

Latest posts

Back