Refractometer & Hydrometer reading

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesnow

Reaction score
Wine problem? ... wine from Carboy one year later... Hydrometer reading gives reading 1.00 and the Refractometer gives reading 7.5 brix.. hmmm is this normal?

A refractometer only reports the correct number of the sugar solution before alcohol is formed. After fermentation starts or is finished you need to apply a formula to correct the brix reading. I think there are several threads on this topic if you search the forums. There is more information there.

Using a hydrometer is a lot less trouble. Just make sure it is calibrated.
Hey John never heard of calibrating a hydrometer before.Could you fill me in?I know of temp.correction.

plop it into some tap water or better yet distilled water if you have it. Verify it reads 1.000. If not, then you know how much it is off. if way off, then buy a new one.

plop it into some tap water or better yet distilled water if you have it. Verify it reads 1.000. If not, then you know how much it is off. if way off, then buy a new one.
This is not calibrating.You can calibrate a refractometer.

This is not calibrating.You can calibrate a refractometer.

Technically, yes. If it is way off then buy a new. But my larger point is to test your hydrometer in water to understand what it measures when there are no sugars.

Latest posts

Back