refractometer cleaning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zappoid

Reaction score
Another unclear issue.
My refractometer has very short and quite vague for instruction how to operate device. It says after measurement just wipe prizm before and after with soft cloth (it comes along with the refractometer). But If I just wipe, there will be thin film on surface, whish could affect the measurement. There is no notice how to remove the residue, just wipe that's it. Any useful comments?

Last edited:
I see you wear glasses. As do I. They are both optical lenses and should be, and can be, treated and cleaned similarly. So I would say simply treat the surface glass of the refractometer the same as you do to get your eye glasses clear and clean.

As for me, I rinse with water. Even add little dish soap if needed. Wipe till clean with soft cloth. Repeat if necessary. If I add soap, additional rinsing is needed. I often let them fully air dry.

Hope this helps.

Thank you. Anyway I'm about to buy distilled water for calibration, so I could use it also for cleaning.

I see you wear glasses. As do I. They are both optical lenses and should be, and can be, treated and cleaned similarly. So I would say simply treat the surface glass of the refractometer the same as you do to get your eye glasses clear and clean.

As for me, I rinse with water. Even add little dish soap if needed. Wipe till clean with soft cloth. Repeat if necessary. If I add soap, additional rinsing is needed. I often let them fully air dry.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Also another question: is it correct to use refractometer to see residue sugar in new wine?

not directly. readings are skewed because of alcohol. there are however correcting spreadsheets on the internet. Northern Brewer has one also Valley Vintner

not directly. readings are skewed because of alcohol. there are however correcting spreadsheets on the internet. Northern Brewer has one also Valley Vintner
It means for spreadsheets using I gave to know exact alcohol level?

Latest posts

Back