Refining my proccess

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramrod2021

Junior
Reaction score
I've made two 5gal batches of muscadine wine.i added potassium sorbate to it but i read on here about some k-?? Nutrients do i need to add that stuff or...? For bottling?

Welcome to WMT!

It sounds like your fermentation is finished. Is that correct?

The most important tool you can own is a hydrometer (to measure the specific gravity, SG) of your must. This value will inform you of the progress of your fermentation. When your fermentation is finished, the density (SG) of your wine will be less than 1.000.

If your wine is finished, you typically will want to add some potassium metabisulfite ("k-meta"). This serves to prevent unwanted oxidation and to inhibit microbial spoilage.

The other stuff, potassium sorbate, serves to prevent yeast from multiplying. It is added before you were to add additional sugar ("backsweeten") your wine before bottling. You only need it if you are adding sugar.

Last edited:
Thanks i had that messed up i added potassium sorbate to my wine but i don't intend on adding sugar soooo it should be a problem"A"?

Today on the first i added ten lds to a strawberry wine that i had goin for few days but it wasn't doing well i don't know gravity cause i bought a hydrometer but its for shine not wine.today i ordered the correct one for wine and beer.lol i made a batch of dark beer and its already bottled jus waiting on carbonation.dont know alcohol or gravity on it either 😆😆😆.im new im tryin.

Today on the first i added ten lds to a strawberry wine that i had goin for few days but it wasn't doing well i don't know gravity cause i bought a hydrometer but its for shine not wine.today i ordered the correct one for wine and beer.lol i made a batch of dark beer and its already bottled jus waiting on carbonation.dont know alcohol or gravity on it either 😆😆😆.im new im tryin.

I do not know what "lds" are. Can you clarify?

Oh lbs. - pounds of friut i added 10 pounds of strawberries to a wine i had goin
Update its cookin real good now.

@Ramrod2021, welcome to WMT!

Campden tablets are potassium sorbate metabisulfite (K-meta), in a form designed for small batches. 1 tablet is designed to dose 1 US gallon of wine. They work, but must be crushed to powder.

K-sulfite powder is cheaper and easier to use, but doesn't work well for gallon batches, as the dosage is 1/4 tsp per 5 or 6 US gallons. I add K-meta at each racking after fermentation, and at bottling time. K-meta is an antioxidant and preservative, helping to extend a wine's shelf life.

EDIT: I screwed up and typed "sorbate" when I should have typed "metabisulfite"!!!! Good catch, @BernardSmith!

Last edited:
@Ramrod2021, welcome to WMT!

Campden tablets are potassium sorbate (K-meta), in a form designed for small batches. 1 tablet is designed to dose 1 US gallon of wine. They work, but must be crushed to powder.

K-sulfite powder is cheaper and easier to use, but doesn't work well for gallon batches, as the dosage is 1/4 tsp per 5 or 6 US gallons. I add K-meta at each racking after fermentation, and at bottling time. K-meta is an antioxidant and preservative, helping to extend a wine's shelf life.
Technically, Campden tabs are potassium meta-bisulfate and not potassium sorbate. K sorbate will metaphorically speaking geld the yeast preventing them from reproducing (budding). K- meta will kill weaker, smaller colonies of wild indigenous yeast, and as you suggest. will inhibit oxidation of the wine. The same chemical at much higher concentrations than are found in the tablets can be used to sanitize equipment (2 oz /gallon)

Ok thank you for the information.but being new to y'alls craft ill jus stick to the pill for now.i really appreciate all the help.

Latest posts

Back