Redules directions question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrStrangeLove

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Haven't posted in a while.. Was wondering about something in regards to using Redules. I used this product in the past with spectacular results in eliminating off putting sulpher odors. The question I have is this. The product directions state that you should mix the dissolved powder into your wine and then rack it again in 72 hours. What I was wondering was, why 72 hours?

What would be different if I just put the Redules in, let it react and settle to the bottom of the carboy and leave it in there until the next scheduled racking time in 3-4 weeks? What is important about racking again in 72 hours, if anyone can comment on this?

Thanks all!

Reduless is copper affixed to yeast cells.

Copper is a metal which is capable of catalyzing oxidative reactions without additional oxygen exposure so it would kill the flavor faster than normal
High levels of copper are toxic to humans

Reduless is copper affixed to yeast cells.

Copper is a metal which is capable of catalyzing oxidative reactions without additional oxygen exposure so it would kill the flavor faster than normal
High levels of copper are toxic to humans

Hmm.. So basically.. keeping the copper/yeast compound in there for a few weeks is more or less tantamount to exposing the wine to open air by, say for example, not putting the airlock on the carboy?

I think the longest I’d let it go is 5 day on reduless. I spoke with a Scottlabs rep about this and the said really racking in 3-5 days is fine. If used this way at 10-15 g/ hL , you should only get the advertised 0.02 ppm of copper. I would not let it go 3-4 weeks.

Reduless is a much better option than copper sulfate because with copper sulfate, if the wine is kept too reductive, you can have the reaction reverse and re-release the bound sulfur odors.

A word on copper toxicity: if used properly, reduless or copper sulfate won’t even come close to causing issue. I wouldn’t rack through a copper pipe/scrubber (unknown copper amount).

Copper is a needed trace element in you body from proper enzymatic function.
The recommended daily allowance is 0.9 mg /day. The upper tolerable limit is 10mg/day.

A wine with 1.2 ppm of residual copper (way more than the recommended 0.5ppm of residual copper recommended max), would have 0.9mg in the entire bottle (750mL)(the recommended daily allowance for an adult)

The EPA allows 1.3ppm in drinking water.

A lot of multivitamins have 1-2 mg of copper.

I’m more afraid of the negative copper effects on my wine quality if used in excess

I think the longest I’d let it go is 5 day on reduless. I spoke with a Scottlabs rep about this and the said really racking in 3-5 days is fine. If used this way at 10-15 g/ hL , you should only get the advertised 0.02 ppm of copper. I would not let it go 3-4 weeks.

Reduless is a much better option than copper sulfate because with copper sulfate, if the wine is kept too reductive, you can have the reaction reverse and re-release the bound sulfur odors.

A word on copper toxicity: if used properly, reduless or copper sulfate won’t even come close to causing issue. I wouldn’t rack through a copper pipe/scrubber (unknown copper amount).

Copper is a needed trace element in you body from proper enzymatic function.
The recommended daily allowance is 0.9 mg /day. The upper tolerable limit is 10mg/day.

A wine with 1.2 ppm of residual copper (way more than the recommended 0.5ppm of residual copper recommended max), would have 0.9mg in the entire bottle (750mL)(the recommended daily allowance for an adult)

The EPA allows 1.3ppm in drinking water.

A lot of multivitamins have 1-2 mg of copper.

I’m more afraid of the negative copper effects on my wine quality if used in excess

Understood.. I used it last year on a Barbera I made with the appropriate dosages and it worked perfectly as I mentioned.

Thank you for the detailed info @Cap Puncher -- I think I'll save that in my notes :)

That said I'll definitely re-rack it in a few days.

Back