Reducing Acid in Muscadine Must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonclick

Junior
Reaction score
I picked 23# of Carlos Muscadines a few weeks ago (in my freezer now) to make about 3.5 gallons of wine. I've made a few kit and fruit wines but never muscadine. I'm using the following recipe / guidelines. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques15.asp

Question I have is reducing the acid level. I assume since Muscadines are highly acidic I'll need to do this. The instructions for reducing acid are at the bottom of the page in the above link. It says to add either Calcium Carbonate or Potassium Bicarbonate and chill for several days and rack off the lees. Would this require addition SO2 to be added while it's chilling? And what temp would chilling be? 50F or so? And typically how many days would this need to sit before checking the acidity level again? Thanks for any help

Hi Jason. Am new to winemaking, but have a few carboys going with muscadine wine as well. Not familiar with Carlos Muscadines, but do know the muscadines I have access to are very low in ta and require the addition of acid blend. One batch was particularly low. I’d test before doing any adjustments and avoid back peddling.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back