Redo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lack of foresight....

Decided to fix 2 problems. On the upper terrace I had little to no walk/working space on the back of the inside row. On the bottom terrace I had limited but useable space on the back side of the inside row. I also had to mow that with a weed whacker.

The fix: 130' by 5'-6' high retaining wall and backfill. It took me a week but I think I will like it!!

Before and after pictures

IMG_20190715_111725608_resize_43.jpg IMG_20190919_173807289_resize_78.jpg

A structural engineer will say it doesn't work, an uptight homeowner will say its ugly, a regular guy says Sweet!

As a structural engineer and regular guy I say Sweet! I love the quick practical solution that uses what you have. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I know if I built it I'd pull up a chair and enjoy the view.

For the structural engineer...
Bottom layer of rocks bedded slightly below grade and weigh 400-600 lbs, second layer at least 200 lbs, that would approach 2-3 ft high, from there up, whatever I could lift and fit tightly. I will know this spring if I put enough back angle to withstand the backfill pressure!! If not.... Redo the redo...

For the record I think it is great. I have "walls" in my yard that will not meet "code" but that doesn't mean they aren't safe. The beauty of a wall like that is that it can move, settle, shift and no one will ever notice (well you might).

Latest posts

Back