Red wines with no yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernCA

Junior
Reaction score
I get terrible gas and bloating after drinking most red wines.

I am told that it may be because of the yeast left in the red wine sometimes creates bloating and gas. And I should look for sterile filtered red wine.

Does it make sense?

Can someone help me find wines that are sterile filtered?

Thank you in advance.

I get terrible gas and bloating after drinking most red wines.

I am told that it may be because of the yeast left in the red wine sometimes creates bloating and gas. And I should look for sterile filtered red wine.

Does it make sense?

Can someone help me find wines that are sterile filtered?

Thank you in advance.

I’m not sure of any wineries that sterile filter their red wines, there’s not much need to do so, maybe some of the huge producers do it. Sterile filtering is mostly for wines which will be finished sweet, the filtering removes the yeast, preventing AF from occurring in the bottle. If you like sweetened red wine, you might be in luck. Maybe someone here happens to know of a winery that does this, but my guess would be that most dry red wines that have been filtered, would not be filtered to sterile, more of a polishing finish. I think you posted yesterday about Mount Veeder Winery Cab Sauvignon, it’s most likely not sterile filtered, could it be something else?

Just curious, have you tried a really old (over 20 years) bottle of wine? Did that still aggravate you’re condition? How do you do with young, dry, white wine?

I’m not sure of any wineries that sterile filter their red wines, there’s not much need to do so, maybe some of the huge producers do it. Sterile filtering is mostly for wines which will be finished sweet, the filtering removes the yeast, preventing AF from occurring in the bottle. If you like sweetened red wine, you might be in luck. Maybe someone here happens to know of a winery that does this, but my guess would be that most dry red wines that have been filtered, would not be filtered to sterile, more of a polishing finish. I think you posted yesterday about Mount Veeder Winery Cab Sauvignon, it’s most likely not sterile filtered, could it be something else?

Just curious, have you tried a really old (over 20 years) bottle of wine? Did that still aggravate you’re condition? How do you do with young, dry, white wine?
Thank you for a detailed response. So far I have not been able to tell what in the red wine I am drinking causes gas and bloating. But it happens about 80 percent of times.

I have tried drinking a lot of water before, taking Zantec ahead of time, trying different tyoe of red wines but nothing seems to solve the problem completely.

Mount Veeder cab seems to not give the same trouble and I like its full body taste. But i would like to expand my choices. For that, I need to understand what is different in Mount Veeder.

My wild guess is either tannins or Yeast or sulphites. But it could be other causes as well.

I used to love red wine but for the last few years, it has been hard to enjoy them.

I will try probiotic as well to see if they will help.

Has anyone heard if butter and bread that I often enjoy with red wine may be causing this trouble?

Any suggestion will help. Thanks in advance.

I was just going to say how do you know it's the wine and not some food your eating with the wine? If your having gas problems you should try something like GasX, not Zantac IMHO.

I was just going to say how do you know it's the wine and not some food your eating with the wine? If your having gas problems you should try something like GasX, not Zantac IMHO.
The gas and bloating often (80%) happens when I drink red wine. So red wine is at least partially causing it. I will try gasX.

Latest posts

Back