Other red wine kits poll

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What red varietal kits would you buy?

• Cabernet Franc

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Carignan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carmenère

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Gamay

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Grenache

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Malbec

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • Mourvèdre

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Petit Verdot

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Sangiovese

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Tempranillo

Votes: 15 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm sure that would be challenging from the kit maker's point of view, since I imagine it wouldn't be very cost-effective to make a kit for a small number of buyers.
Yup, the goal of any kit sold is to sell out the stock.

In his year end tasting video, Matteo mentioned limited run kits. This is a good business strategy -- produce a limited run of kits that should be of interest, and plan to repeat the ones that sell out the quickest.

Restaurants do this -- have a standard menu plus limited run items. Limited items that sell well may move to the standard menu while standard items that cease selling well rotate out. The winnowing process is a continuous one.

Third vote for Nebbiolo.

Make that four for Nebbiolo. I have 5 gallons aging from juice, and this is my first experience with a bucket of juice from Italy. There was no descriptor on when/where/or any measurements on the bucket, but I bought it from my LBHS, fermented it, and am now aging it. Hope it turns out well. That said, I'd buy a FWK Nebbiolo and let it age....let it age...let it age...

Thanks for setting up the poll, Bryan. I was talking to the people at FWK and asked them about Amarone and if there was any chance of that being offered. I was told that there are a number of other varieties being considered and that the acceptance so far has been great. I would also like to see Nero D'Avola, but this is not a hugely popular Sicilian wine. My favorite wine is Brunello di Montalcino, which is 100% Sangiovese but only from that part of Tuscany, so I doubt if they could put a kit of that together. They seem to use everything they grow near Montalcino and sell out most years.

Nero D'Avola is probably my favorite wine. I only started winemaking (kits) in October 2019 and my first kit was the Nero D'Avola from Mosti Mondiale (the only place I have found that offers it. I just started my 3rd batch of it a week ago. That kit is so easy because it is 23 liters of pure juice and only oak chips to add at the start. Just dump the juice, oak chips, and yeast and wait for it to happen.

Make that four for Nebbiolo. I have 5 gallons aging from juice, and this is my first experience with a bucket of juice from Italy. There was no descriptor on when/where/or any measurements on the bucket, but I bought it from my LBHS, fermented it, and am now aging it. Hope it turns out well. That said, I'd buy a FWK Nebbiolo and let it age....let it age...let it age...

Make it five for Nebbiolo.

Nero D'Avola is probably my favorite wine. I only started winemaking (kits) in October 2019 and my first kit was the Nero D'Avola from Mosti Mondiale (the only place I have found that offers it. I just started my 3rd batch of it a week ago. That kit is so easy because it is 23 liters of pure juice and only oak chips to add at the start. Just dump the juice, oak chips, and yeast and wait for it to happen.
Where do you order the Nero D'Avola from?

Cheers!

I love its also. I made the RJS RQ 2021 “Magician” this year and I believe that is a Nero D’Avola (could be wrong)

The first two Nero D'Avola kits I ordered from Musto Wine Grape Company for $99 a kit (now $119). But I live so far from them (Connecticut to Tucson, Arizona) and shipping costs just kept going up. $40 in 2019, $80 in 2020, and would be well over $100 in 2021. Nero D-Avola , Original All Juice (23L) They always show out of stock, but they usually have it.

So my last one I bought from Texas Brewing, Inc. $170, with free shipping.

Salute!

The first two Nero D'Avola kits I ordered from Musto Wine Grape Company for $99 a kit (now $119). But I live so far from them (Connecticut to Tucson, Arizona) and shipping costs just kept going up. $40 in 2019, $80 in 2020, and would be well over $100 in 2021. Nero D-Avola , Original All Juice (23L) They always show out of stock, but they usually have it.

So my last one I bought from Texas Brewing, Inc. $170, with free shipping.

Salute!

Same here, I live in Spokane, WA and Mosti products from Con and Tex are some steep shipping costs.

If the point of the poll is to ask what kit I want that I never see, it’s the PV followed by the Cab Franc.
That's one of my drivers for this poll. Simple curiosity on my part. It also provides market research for kit wine vendors, letting them know (if they follow this type of forum) what their customers want. Granted, 37 responders (as of now) is not statistically significant, but it's food for thought.

I had another thought this morning -- would anyone want a 3 gallon kit of less popular wines for blending? I considered that I'd buy smaller kits of grapes typically used for blending, to have a stock for my own blending, something like Mourvèdre that I wouldn't want a full carboy (19 or 23 liter) of.

To be honest.... I've never had one.
I've never had it as a varietal, either. A large percentage of the guys I knew early my winemaking career made wines from CA grapes that came into Utica NY by train. All (that I can recall) made Zinfandel based blends, and it seems that most tossed in a box or 2 of Muscat, Carignan, and a couple other grapes whose names I cannot recall. When I was making the list for the poll, Carignan popped came to mind.

These 2 poll threads made me aware of a few things -- one of which is that for all the Rhone reds I've had, I cannot recall ever having a white Rhone. I need to branch out!

Carignan is a very productive vine. In the US, Carignane is typically associated with cheap jug wines from the Central Valley, and generally does not even get named on the label. So it is a "low-prestige variety" here.

(Carignan is usually spelled Carignane in the US, Carignan elsewhere.)

Latest posts

Back